5-Course Progressive Indian Tasting Event
“Verandah” is derived from two Sanskrit words: “Vahir” (outside) and “Ander” (inside). Suggesting an open kind of hospitality, it is a fitting moniker for this important Upper Kirby restaurant, whose predecessor, Great W’kana, was named to the Houston Chronicle’s “Top 100 Restaurants” list. Verandah has been named to Eater’s “17 Essential Indian and Pakistani Restaurants in Houston” list and Thrillist’s "16 Best Houston Restaurants for Vegans and Vegetarians" list. Its chef, Sunil Srivastava, honed his culinary skills at Bukhara, one of New Delhi’s most eminent restaurants, and the popular Dumpukth in Mumbai. Arriving in the US, he worked as Executive Chef at Tamarind and Amber, among the top Indian restaurants in, respectively, New York City and the Bay Area, before establishing Great W’Kana. At Verandah, he is serving “some of the finest Indian food in town,” according to Houstonia, which also lauds the “beautiful space,” with its white marble bar, modern furniture, glass walls, and visually arresting mandala painting. By all accounts, Verandah is something special, and we eagerly await our visit!
About the Host:
Hailing from India, Chef Sunil Srivastava was a Best Chef of the Year by the Associates of Catering Professionals in Hyderabad before moving to the US. He's cooked at Michelin-selected Tamarind in NYC and previous restaurant, Great W’kana Café, made the Houston Chronicle's Top 100 List for eight years straight. He opened Verandah in February 2019.
All courses will be individually plated.
Charcoal-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
english peas, mint tamarind chutney, puff rice
carrom seed and chickpea flour, spanish marmalade, onion seed tomato sauce
Curry from the South
pan-seared scallops, crispy shrimp, spicy tomato gravy
caramelized onion and fennel sauce, basmati rice, garlic naan
custard with baby jamun, almond praline, laddu dust
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
3300 Kirby Dr Suite 7-A
Houston, TX 77098
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $80 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.