6-Course Himalayan Horizons Dinner Event
When is the last time you sat down for a good Nepali meal? Perhaps never. That’s why you need to discover Vajra, named for the mythical weapon used by the Hindu God of Thunder, which brings to stirring life this lesser-known cuisine. Housed in a century-old building in West Town that was once a tortilla factory, Vajra, which opened in February 2019, features exquisitely refined food, ranging from paneer-stuffed capsicum to tandoori venison to goan fish curry and assorted goat dishes, all served in a sophisticated rustic setting. Executive Chef Min Thapa worked in top hotels in Kathmandu and Mumbai, before coming to Chicago and connecting with such establishments as Mount Everest Restaurant in Evanston and Cumin, a Michelin Bib Gourmand winner for eight consecutive years. Time Out lauds Vajra as “pure sensory delight, matched by some of the city’s finest service.” We will be taking over the restaurant for this event, and Chef Thapa will be in and out of the kitchen to answer your questions and tell you everything you always wanted to know about Nepali food.
About the Host:
Chef Thapa has over three decades of restaurant experience across the globe, first cutting his teeth first in fine dining establishments in Kathmandu and Mumbai. After immigrating to the US, he successfully opened and ran Chicago institutions, including Mount Everest, Taste of Himalayas, and Cumin, before taking on the Executive Chef role at Vajra in 2019.
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
dumplings with minced lobster and nepalese spices and served with tomato-szechuan sauce
cauliflower florets cooked in sino-indian spices
spiced paneer sandwiches simmered in rich creamy sauce
Farm-Raised Goat Steak
with butter-spiced brussels sprouts
Classic Butter Chicken
poussin cooked with rich and creamy tomato-onion sauce
Black Forest Gateau
with classic indian sweetmeat crumble
1329 W Chicago Ave, Chicago, IL 60642
Chicago, IL 60642
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for dairy allergies. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.