5-Course Korean Meets Southwestern Tasting Event
Opened just this past May, this Korean-American eatery in Bouldin Creek is making quite a splash, earning a spot on Eater’s “Hottest in ATX” List and on Bon Appetit’s nationwide “Most Exciting New Restaurants” List. Partners Claudia Lee and Richard Hargreave set out to create a place that serves food you want to eat with wine you want to drink. Executive Sous Chef Charlie Bowein, who moved from California to Austin in 2010 to attend Le Cordon Bleu, developed his chef skills at Dai Due and continued to grow his culinary career at reputable Austin restaurants such as Intero and, most recently, Comedor. At Underdog, he is turning out inventive small dishes like caviar stroopwafel bites, foie gras maki rolls, and mackerel croquettes, as well as mains like blue crab and trout roe on crispy rice, grilled mushroom rice bowl, roast pork belly ssam, and Underdog fried chicken. (That last dish, by the way, is one Austin Monthly calls the best of its kind in the city.) “Underdog, the stylish South First restaurant, wine bar, and bottle shop from a Momofuku vet, absolutely beams thanks to riveting Korean-inspired cuisine,” raves Infatuation. Suffice it to say, we are absolutely pumped to visit!
About the Host:
Executive Sous Chef
Hailing from California, Chef Charlie Bowein moved to Austin in 2010 to attend Le Cordon Bleu. He then honed his craft at reputable local restaurants Dai Due, Intero, and Comedor. In May, he joined the Underdog team as Executive Sous Chef.
Courses #1 - #4 will be served family style. Course #5 will be individually plated.
Bay White Shrimp "Cocktail"
crab stock, gochugaru seasoning, chojang dipping sauce
Underdog's Caesar Salad
miso caesar dressing, house panko breadcrumb, doenjang cured egg yolk, ewephoria cheese
Korean Sweet & Savory Wings
gochujang, honey, garlic sauce
Korean Marinated Beef Short Ribs
marinated korean pear salad, spinach & tofu salad
1600 S 1st St Suite 100
Austin, TX 78704
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- Can I bring guests who are not members to this event?
- Yep! Members are able to purchase up to 3 guest tickets to this event (based on availability). However, guest tickets are $20 more than member tickets ($85 + tax/tip), and guests will not be allowed entry to the event unless they're accompanied by a member.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
- Will this event be handicap acccessible?
- According to the restaurant, this event is handicap accessible. If applicable however, please email [email protected] with your needs to ensure proper accommodations.
- What parking information has the restaurant provided for this event?
- According to the restaurant, there is nearby street parking available. Availability may be low however, so please plan accordingly.