DAY 1: 5-Course Playful Japanese Tasting Series
Everyone loves ramen, but how many of us have had the opportunity to sample ramen when it is taken to new levels of excellence? Toki Underground, which opened in 2011 in the Atlas District, does just that. Executive Chef/Co-owner Olivier Caillabet grew up working in his family’s French restaurant in Ireland. After earning his undergraduate degree in zoology from Trinity College Dublin and his master’s in primate conservation at Oxford Brookes University, he spent several years in Southeast Asia, where he worked for a non-profit investigating wildlife trade and where he fell in love with ramen. In 2017, he became chef and partner at Toki Underground, which has won four Michelin Bib Gourmand awards in a row and has gained accolades galore, from Time Out naming it to its list of “15 Best Ramen Restaurants in America” to Eater lauding it as “Restaurant of the Year” to Travel & Leisure citing it as “America’s Best Restaurant.” Toki Underground promises to be a ramen revelation, and we are intrigued as well to hear more about Chef Caillabet’s life story. See you there!
About the Host:
Hailing from Ireland, Chef Olivier Caillabet grew up working in his parent's French restaurant. Despite his early culinary start, he initially began his career as a conservation zoologist, researching the wildlife trade in Asia. In 2017, he moved to DC and shifted to a culinary career at Toki Underground.
All courses will be individually plated.
Green Bean Salad
with sesame dressing
Pork Belly Steam Bun
with sweet soy, braised cabbage, pork floss, and house pickle
Steamed Virginia Middleneck Clams
with ginger and sake broth
with chicken chashu, garlic, okra, and onsen egg
Soy Milk Panna Cotta
with coffee and black sugar syrup
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
1234 H St NE
Washington, DC 20002
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $80 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for those with soy allergies. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.