6-Course Modern Southern Dinner Event
When you put together a crackerjack team from the city’s top restaurants, exciting culinary synergy is bound to happen. Such is the case at The Ryerson, a brand-new (June 2019) eatery on Nostrand Avenue in Crown Heights that is named as an homage to the great poet Walt Whitman, who once lived at 88 Ryerson Street. Executive Chef Sean Underwood, late of Jean-Georges, joins forces with colleagues from Olmsted and Gramercy Tavern to offer a Southern-inspired menu that specializes in such dishes as lip-smacking fried chicken, étouffée, deviled eggs, and mac & cheese. We will be taking over the restaurant for the evening, and Chef Underwood will be on hand to answer your questions and to discuss his own journey, starting in his native Maryland, where he began his food career at a Pizza Hut in a Target food court, and culminating in this new restaurant where he has free rein to cultivate his culinary passions.
About the Host:
A Maryland native, Chef Underwood has been cooking professionally for fifteen years. After cutting his teeth first in the Baltimore food scene, he relocated to New York first as part of the opening team at Manon in the Meatpacking District, then transitioning to the legendary kitchens at Jean Georges. After honing his craft at JG he branched out to run his own kitchens at Northeast Kingdom, Dirty French, and now The Ryerson.
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
stuffed with blue crab and garnished with okra florets
finely shredded pork over skillet cornbread with honey butter
Blackened Eggplant "Scallops"
with sauteed market greens, bloody butcher grits, and salsa macha
Shrimp & Andouille Etouffee
with trinity vedge and rice cakes
Whole Fried Chicken
with mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, collard greens, blueberry hot honey, chicken gravy, and hot sauce
Chocolate Chess Pie
with cinnamon chili and aerated meringue
698 Nostrand Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11216
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.