5-Course Memories of Nairobi Tasting Event
Just opened this past January, this Kenyan restaurant in the McKinney neighborhood offers glimpses into an African cuisine that you are unlikely to have encountered before. Many of us have enjoyed Ethiopian cuisine or the foods of West Africa, but Executive Chef/Owner Eva Wambui, born and raised in Kenya, wanted people to experience the tastes of her homeland and the feeling of being in a kibanda, a semi-permanent place where middle class and working class people go to grab a good meal that is not expensive. Here, she serves dishes like the rolex, a Kenyan omelet stuffed with beef and cabbage and rolled into a flaky chapatti, as well as kachumbari (smoked sausage with fresh tomato and onion relish) and ng’ombe (beef stew served with collard greens). Eater immediately named The Kibandi to its list of “New Restaurants to Try in 2022,” and we are primed indeed to try it and to hear from Chef Wambui about the traditions, surprises, and delights of Kenyan cuisine.
About the Host:
A Kenyan native, Chef Wambui started learning how to cook from her mother at the age of 12. Even though her mother owned and operated a restaurant, she initially decided not to follow in her footsteps and get a 9 to 5 job after graduating from school. On the side, she started hosting dinners which eventually turned into a full-time catering business. After moving to the United States seven years ago, Chef Wambui realized that there was a lack of any quality Kenyan restaurants, prompting her to open the Kibanda in 2021, which offered catering and private chef services. She opened her limited service space in January 2022.
All courses will be individually plated.
with whipped honey goat cheese, mint, and house balsamic drizzle
Cocktail Samosas Three Way
ground beef + green onions | house chili oil, coconut butter, cabbage | cheese, sweet corn, house chili, cilantro lime dip
kenyan corn and bean stew with curry and potatoes
Slow Roasted Goat
with peas, butternut squash chapati, rosemary potato puree, and carrots
african donuts with marula cream and berry sauce
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
3400 Comsouth Drive
Austin, TX 78744
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $80 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for pescatarians (only vegetarian substitutions will be offered) or those with aversions to alliums or gluten. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.