DAY 2: 6-Course Modern Burmese Dinner Series
Had any Burmese food lately? We suspect not, so come discover this lesser-known cuisine at D.C.’s only full-scale Burmese restaurant. Thamee, which opened in May 2019 on H Street NE, is the creation of Jocelyn Law-Yone, a.k.a. Chef JoJo, who grew up in Rangoon and is also the chef de cuisine and co-owner of the popular Toli Moli. At Thamee, you can find home style or street food dishes like laphet thoke, a salad made with a base of pressed, fermented tea leaves mixed with sesame seeds, broad beans, tomatoes, and cabbage, pork and pickled mango curry, and fritters of shrimp and buthee (a long gourd). In June, Washington Post restaurant reviewer Tom Sietsema named Thamee one of his seven favorite places to eat, and Eater D.C. lauds Thamee for “its wide variety of Burmese delights.” We will be taking over the restaurant for the evening, and Chef JoJo will be in and out of the kitchen to tell her story, take your questions, and lead you down an exciting path of discovery.
About the Host:
Chef & Co-Owner
Chef Law-Yone grew up in Rangoon, Burma, where she learned at an early age that quality food is an essential ingredient in good dinner conversations. She has been an AP Art History Educator, a children's clothing shop owner, a painter, and a travel agent before opening her restaurants Toli Moli and Thamee alongside her daughter Simone in 2018.
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
Samusa & Lahpet Salad
with potato and pea samusas, pickled tea leaves, cabbage, and citrus dressing
with burmese tomato chutney
Kaw Pyant Sane
burmese spring rolls with shrimp, pork, crab, and vegetable medley
Sugarcane Glazed Duck
with housemade naan and dipping sauce
Myeik Ah Pone
burmese crepe with pumpkin-tamarind curry
with burmese milk tea
1320 H St NE
Washington, DC 20002
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for those with gluten allergies/aversions, seafood allergies/aversions or vegetarians. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.