5-Course Nouveau Southern Tasting Event
Now in its sixth year, SOUTH (which can be found on the Avenue of the Arts) is firmly established as Philadelphia’s premier jazz club, serving up the coolest jazz. It also happens to be an absolutely awesome place to eat though - so much so that Eater gave it a spot on its 2023 list of “38 Essential Restaurants in Philly” while Philadelphia Weekly put it on its “Top Restaurants of 2023” list. Owner/Executive Chef Ben Bynum serves up elevated comfort food rooted in the food of the South. That means soul-satisfying dishes like gumbo, freshly-baked cornbread, hot honey-drizzled Southern fried chicken, boneless beef short ribs, and delicious sweets to end the meal like sweet potato cheesecake and pineapple brown sugar bread pudding. Craig LaBan, Philadelphia Inquirer’s restaurant reviewer, salutes SOUTH’s “cliché-free inspirations from heirloom ingredients” and calls the gumbo “one of the most genuine tastes of Louisiana in town.” We are pumped to visit and hope to see you there!
About the Host:
A long-time Philly native, Chef Ben Bynum graduated from the Restaurant School of Walnut College. He has been a leader in combining live music and elevated dining since his days at Zanzibar Blue, which brought artists like Nancy Wilson, Diana Krall, Michael Buble, Lou Rawls and Chick Corea to Center City. He continues that tradition today as Chef/Owner of SOUTH.
All courses will be individually plated.
Asparagus & Mushroom Toast
olive salsa verde, honey goat cheese, microgreens
Char-Grilled Oysters Earle
melted leeks, grated horseradish, chervil
Gulf Shrimp & Fried Green Tomato
remoulade, pickled red cabbage
North African Spiced Lamb
rosemary jus, candied sweet potato
Brown Sugar Pineapple Bread Pudding
charred pineapple, jamaican rum sauce
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will do our best to accommodate requests for separate tables, assuming the space allows for them. Additionally, all food will be served individually plated rather than family style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
600 N Broad St
Philadelphia, PA 19130
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $85 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
- Will this event be handicap acccessible?
- According to the restaurant, this event is handicap accessible.
- What parking information has the restaurant provided for this event?
- According to the restaurant, there is a nearby parking garage, as well as street parking available. Parking is not validated.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate most dietary restrictions and food allergies except for those with dairy, gluten, soy, mushroom, alliums, or garlic restrictions. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.