5-Course Laotian Roots Dinner Event
Charlotte’s almost brand-new Sosu (opened just this past May) is best described as a non-traditional Japanese restaurant with Laotian influences. It is the creation of Chef Rocky Jokbengboon, who was named one of the nation’s Top 10 culinary students in 2013, while he was enrolled at Johnson & Wales. After cutting his teeth with the famed Thomas Keller Restaurant Group where he cooked under a number of top Michelin chefs, Chef Jokbengboon spent some time away from restaurant kitchens as a private chef for professional NBA, NFL, and PGA athletes. But, in 2018, he got the itch to return to restaurants and struck out on his own with Naroodle Noodle Shop, in Orlando, FL. Naroodle quickly established itself as the city's top ramen spot, and Chef Jokbengboon is building upon that success with Sosu. At Sosu, diners get to savor innovative Japanese dishes with Laotian influences (which is where his family emigrated to the US from). The décor is a treat too, with walls decorated with vinyls of anime soundtracks and a custom manga mural to boot!
About the Host:
Chef Jokbengboon received his culinary training at Johnson & Wales University, during which time he WON San Pellegrino’s Almost Famous Chef Competition for the Southeast Region ('13) to become one of the top 10 culinary students in North America. Prior to striking out on his own, he cooked at Thomas Keller Restaurant Group NY, Five Star/Five Diamond Resorts, and Charlotte's acclaimed Dandelion Market. He opened Sosu in May 2021.
Each course will be plated individually.
crispy red curried broken rice with fermented pork sausage, herbs, and romaine lettuce
Khao Piak Sen
handmade tapioca noodles with poached chicken thigh, lemongrass, ginger broth, herbs, and house chili oil
catfish belly marinated in lemongrass and dill with sticky rice
Seen Laut, Saigok, Thum Mak Hoong
laotian sausage and beef jerky with spicy papaya salad and sticky rice
Laotian Dessert Sampler
steamed yucca cake with shredded coconut | coconut custard steamed inside a kombucha pumpkin | tapioca with grass jelly and caramelized cream
3718 Central Ave
Charlotte, NC 28205
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring proof of COVID-19 vaccination (refer to the "what qualifies as valid proof of vaccination" question below for more info on this) and a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $75 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member and all guests must also present proof of full vaccination upon arrival at the event in order to gain entry.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who fail to present proof of full vaccination upon arrival, and/or have not paid the guest ticket surcharge, will not be allowed entry.
- What qualifies as valid proof of vaccination?
- To verify that you are fully vaccinated, and gain entry to the event, you must present to our event lead any one of the following forms of proof: your original physical vaccination card, a clearly legible photo of your original vaccination card, or the CLEAR Health Pass App. Please note, you will be only be considered “fully vaccinated” if it has been at least 14 days since you've received either (a) a second shot of the Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, or (b) a single shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. More questions about this? Check out our COVID-19-Related Event Requirements.
- Will this event be hosted indoors or outdoors?
- This event will be hosted indoors, as we will be taking over the entire restaurant for it. The restaurant will be closed to the public, and only fully vaccinated attendees will be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for vegetarians and those with coconut or seafood allergies. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.