5-Course Inventive Izakaya Tasting Event
From its opening in 2020, this Adams Morgan izakaya has made a real name for itself, landing on such lists as The Washington Post’s “Best New Restaurants,” The Washingtonian’s "100 Very Best Restaurants in Washington of 2022," and Eater’s “38 Essential DC Restaurants of 2023.” In 2010, Chef Darren Norris, NYC-born and trained at the California Culinary Institute, opened up KUSHI Izakaya, which promptly received a James Beard "Best New Restaurants in America" Award. Chef Norris, voted by his peers in 2014 as one of the Best Chefs in America, went on to open other popular establishments, including Black Whiskey and Maki Shop in Logan Circle. At Shibuya Eatery, which is part of a three-level complex that includes Shabu Plus and Death Punch Bar, diners enjoy Japanese street food-inspired dishes, like bowls of udon, buckwheat, and green tea soba noodles, pork belly, baby back ribs and chicken wings straight from the sizzling binchotan charcoal grill, and exceptional sushi and ramen. “The kitchen delivers,” wrote Tom Sietsema in his enthusiastic Washington Post review, and we are excited to visit!
About the Host:
A NYC native, Chef Darren Norris graduated from both the California Culinary Academy and California Institute of the Arts. He previously served as Executive Chef at China Grill and Chef de Cuisine at Scalini Fedeli's, in addition to training under Chef Wolfgang Puck. In 2010, he opened KUSHI Izakaya in DC, which was awarded a James Beard "Best New Restaurant in America" Award and earned him a "Restaurateur of the Year"Award in 2011 by The Washingtonian. In July 2020, he opened Shibuya Eatery, Shabu Plus, and Death Punch Bar.
Courses #1, #2, #3, and #5 will be served individually plated. Course #4 will be served family style.
Sunchoke Parsnip Dashi
matcha soba, pickled hon-shimeji
miso-garlic pudding, chive oil, marinated salmon roe, compressed melon
Pork Belly Shabu Salad
cabbage, soft tofu, smoked mushroom vinaigrette
binchotan grilled koji cured salmon with nambanzuke vegetables | soy sake braised beef short rib with yaki onigiri, curry
Ginger-Apple Rose Tart Tatin
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will do our best to accommodate requests for separate tables, assuming the space allows for them. Courses #1, #2, #3, and #5 will be served individually plated. Course #4 will be served family style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
2321 18th St NW
Washington, DC 20009
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $85 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
- What parking information has the restaurant provided for this event?
- According to the restaurant, there is a nearby paid parking lot, as well as street parking available.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate most dietary restrictions and food allergies except for those with dairy, gluten, soy, raw fish, shellfish, pork, mushroom, alliums, or garlic restrictions. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.