5-Course Inventive American Tasting Event
Having arrived on Ballard’s burgeoning restaurant scene back in 2018, Sawyer, which is the name given to someone who saws timber for a living, is an homage to that neighborhood’s history as a hub of Seattle’s early lumber industry. Owner and Executive Chef Mitch Mayers, a Washington state native, is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America and was chef de cuisine at the highly acclaimed Lark. At his new digs, housed in a former sawmill, he lets his creativity run riot with dishes like bone-marrow infused matzoh ball pho, porchetta naan wrap with chimchurri, and oxtail nachos. “Sophisticated, fun, and pretty dang smart,” raves The Infatuation—and ‘fun’ is the operative word, as we mustn’t forget that Chef Mayers got his start at the age of 14, mixing cotton candy sugar at state fairs for a family concessions business that stretches back three generations. We will be taking over Sawyer for the evening—don’t worry; no sawing involved—and Chef Mayers will be on hand to answer your questions and share his fascinating food journey.
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Owner
A Culinary Institute of America grad, Chef Mayers cut his teeth at Denver's Hillstone Restaurant Group, and Seattle's Lark (where he served as Chef de Cuisine), before opening Sawyer in 2018. He's a two-time Cochon 555 Seattle award-winner, was named one of Zagat’s 2018 “Eight Under the Radar Chefs to Know in Seattle”, and has earned numerous semi-finalist nominations from the James Beard Foundation ("Best New Restaurant" 2019, and "Best Chef: Northwest & Pacific" 2020).
All courses will be individually plated.
Pork Belly Steam Buns
with gochujang, hoisin, peanuts, amazu cucumbers, and cilantro
with burnt strawberry vin, English peas, rhubarb, brown butter walnut, radish, red onion, and house ricotta
with green garlic puree, roasted carrots, tempura baby artichokes, and charred onion
Pressed Duck Confit
with pommes aligoté, roasted mushrooms, crispy chicken skin, frisee, and pickled rhubarb
Cuatro Leches Cake
with whipped crème fraiche and candied pistachios
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, we will not be requiring attendees to show proof of vaccination at the door to gain entry.
5309 22nd Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $75 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.