5-Course Puerto Rican Roots Tasting Event
Tired of winter already? Visit this pasted-hued Shaw eatery, opened in 2018, and be instantly transported to the island of Puerto Rico. Chef Ismael Mendez—or "Qui Qui" to his family and childhood friends—started with a food truck, moved on to a pop-up that the Washington Post named one of "6 Pop-Up Restaurants to Try" in 2021, and now has a spectacular venue on the second floor above the venerable Passenger Bar. Here, he dishes out scrumptious versions of Puerto Rican staples like sobao, cuchifrito, and morcilla, along with classic dishes like Pernil (roasted pork shoulder), pasteles, mofongo, lechón, and more. Take note too that you will be served upscale versions of these dishes, as Chef Mendez was classically trained in French cuisine at L’Academie de Cuisine and then cooked at upscale D.C. establishments such as The Grill Room, Masseria, and The Rake's Progress. We are eagerly anticipating our visit here and the opportunity to sample Chef Mendez's food and hear more from him about the culinary traditions of Puerto Rico.
About the Host:
A New Jersey native of Mexican and Puerto Rican descent, Chef Ismael Mendez attended culinary school at L'Academie de Cuisine in Maryland. He served in the kitchens of some of DC's most acclaimed eateries (including The Grill Room, Masseria, and A Rake's Progress) before starting Qui Qui as a catering company and pop-up in 2018. In May 2021, he opened Qui Qui's brick-and-mortar location in Shaw.
Courses #1 - #3 will be individually plated, Course # 4 will be served family-style. Course #5 will be individually-plated.
plaintain strips, annatto infused oil
Tostada De Jaca
sautéed jackfruit with salsa, pickled red onions, queso fresco, micro cilantro
cod cake with criollo-style tartar sauce
La Isla Bonita
traditional white rice and beans dish with slow-roasted marinated pork
Flan de Guava
guava glaze, whipped cream
1539 7th St NW, 2nd Floor
Washington, DC 20001
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $85 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. As per this restaurant’s policy, as well as local guidelines, we will not be requiring proof of COVID vaccination from attendees to gain entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.