5-Course Italian Meets Southern Tasting Event
A returning TC favorite that's still turning heads, including most recently landing a spot on New York Times' 2023 "Where to Eat in NYC" List, Popina is a restaurant doing something we've literally never seen before: melding together Southern soul food with Italian cuisine! The marriage might sound odd, but when you consider this chef's background, it makes perfect sense. Chef/Owner Chris McDade grew up in a small Georgia town and started his culinary career working in Atlanta, where he perfected his sense of southern tastes. He then moved to NYC and spent several years working as a sous chef at the acclaimed Italian restaurants of Danny Meyer and Ignacio Mattos. During this time, he fell in love with all things Italian and decided to travel all over Italy to gain a deeper understanding of the culture and cuisine. This event is a one-night-only collaboration with Edible Manhattan and Pecorino Romano PDO, with a special cheese-forward menu as Chef McDade shows members how to use this distinctly rich 100% sheep milk cheese. We hope we'll see you there (and for more information on Pecorino Romano PDO, visit pecorinoromano.com/en/consortium.)
About the Host:
A Georgia native, Chef McDade honed his craft at several of NYC's top Italian restaurants: Maialino, Marta, and Café Altro Paradiso. In 2017, he opened Popina, melding together his hometown heritage and his passion for fine Italian dining.
Courses #1 - #4 will be served family style. Course #5 will be individually plated.
Pimento Cheese Bruschetta
Fennel & Celery Salad
anchovy, walnut, ewe's blue
Cavatelli Cacio e Pepe
pecorino fulvi romano, black pepper
Beef & Pork Meatballs
polenta, tomato sugo, pecorino fulvi romano
Chocolate Chess Pie
whipped cream, olive oil
127 Columbia St.
Brooklyn, NY 11231
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- Can I bring guests who are not members to this event?
- Yep! Members are able to purchase up to 3 guest tickets to this event (based on availability). However, guest tickets are $20 more than member tickets ($85 + tax/tip), and guests will not be allowed entry to the event unless they're accompanied by a member.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.