DAY 1: 6-Course Contemporary Mexican Dinner Series
Just a bit more than a year old, this upscale Mexican restaurant in D.C.’s Chinatown offers a menu that goes miles beyond the usual tacos, burritos, and enchiladas. Here, Executive Chef/Owner Victor Albisu, a graduate of the Le Cordon Bleu School in Paris, is turning out sophisticated and refined dishes that include the likes of sweetbreads Veracruz, pato al pastor, and sablefish with plantain maduro miso. Chef Albisu has an excellent precedent to draw upon: his first restaurant, De Campo, an upscale South American grill that Esquire named as a Best New Restaurant in 2013. “Cutting-edge…delectable,” raves the Washingtonian about Poca Madre, while the Washington Post's Tom Sietsema just named the restaurant to his 2019 Fall Dining Guide, calling Poca Madre's "playful take" on Mexican fine dining "better than ever". We will be taking over the restaurant for this event, and Chef Albisu's right-hand man, Chef de Cuisine Faiz Ally will be on hand to address your questions and talk about the intricacies, the surprises, and the splendors of Mexican cooking.
About the Host:
Chef de Cuisine
A Tennessee native and graduate of the Culinary Institute at the University of Tennessee, Chef Ally cut his teeth working first in Knoxville, TN at The Baker Peters Jazz Club before relocating to DC. After polishing his skills under Jeff Black at his BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant, he finally joined Victor Albisu's team at Poca Madre in 2013.
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
Wild Greens Salad
with nopales, cotija, and radish
Shrimp Aguachile Rojo
with chile arbol, avocado, and tostadas
Pollo Con Mole
fried chicken with mole nuestro, salsa negra, and chile agave
Foraged Mushroom Risotto
with pasilla de oaxaca and parmesan-almond espuma
with chihuahua queso fundido and black sesame chitates
with manjur blanco, caramel corn, ash, and meringue
777 I Street NW, Techworld Plaza
Washington, DC 20001
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for dairy allergies. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.