5-Course Nouveau South Asian Tasting Event
Sidney Roberts, the Executive Chef/Owner of this Bouldin Creek eatery that opened in October of 2020, moved to Austin in 2008 and established G’Raj Mahal, an Indian pop-up whose name derived from the fact that it was in a space that was formerly a car lot-shop. She started out with curries, but began developing seasonal menus that joined South Asian flavors with a farm-to table approach. G’Raj Mahal became a full-fledged and much-loved restaurant on Rainey Street, but closed in 2021 so that Chef Roberts could focus on her new venture, Mumtaz Market. Here, she serves a varied menu that includes dishes like pork rechaad (stewed with warm spices and fresh ginger, served with braised cabbage and candied pineapple), gnocchi saag (cream curry spinach with potato dumplings), and lamb loin (served with roasted vegetables and cherry reduction). Thrillist has named Mumtaz Market to its list of the “Best Restaurants in Austin,” and we couldn’t be more excited to pay a visit here and sample Chef Roberts’ unique take on the cuisine of India and Pakistan.
About the Host:
A lifelong cook and native Texan, Chef Sidney Roberts began her professional career in St Paul, MN at the celebrated restaurant Table of Contents. From there, she went on to a French bistro in Wayzata Mn, then to running her own Indian restaurant. She returned to Texas in 2008, doing pop-ups until she opened G'Raj Mahal and, more recently, Mumtaz Market.
All courses will be individually plated.
Deconstructed Chicken Samosas
with yucca crisps, roasted pepper chutney, pickled bitter melon, and turmeric aioli
fresh market seafood with coconut bouillabaisse
potato dumplings with creamed curry spinach
with candied apple, tarragon chutney, and braised cabbage
with almonds, cashews, mango, and raspberry coulis
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
1816 South First Street
Austin, TX 78704
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $80 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for those with aversions to tomatoes or nightshades. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.