DAY 1: 6-Course Globally Inspired Dinner Series
‘International’ is the operative word at this popular 15-month-old eatery in The Heights. Owners Mari and Xavier Godoy are Venezuelan expats who envisioned a restaurant with a full-day menu that was globally-inspired and risk-taking, served up in a welcoming environment, semi-industrial with bright red ductwork but mellowed out with vases of lavender. Mastrantos, named for a tropical plant in Venezuela, is disarmingly eclectic, with European, Latin, and Asian flavors. Executive Chef Tony Castillo, a Houston native late of Tiny’s Boxwood, is turning out inventive dishes from his open kitchen that range from salt-roasted beets with persimmons and Gorgonzola dolce to Thai coconut fish curry on squid linguini to cioppino, the famous San Francisco fish stew. All of this has earned Mastrantos a place on the Houston Chronicle’s list of “The Best New Restaurants in Houston.” We will be taking over Mastrantos for this event, and Chef Castillo will be on hand to answer your questions and talk about his global approach to menu-making.
About the Host:
Born in Chicago and raised in Houston, Chef Castillo studied cooking at Houston's Art Institute before cutting his teeth in the kitchens of the St. Regis. He then worked his way up to Executive Chef of Tiny's Boxwood, where he worked for 7 years before joining the opening Executive Chef role at Mastrantos.
Some dishes will be served individually, while others are served family-style.
Carrots over Carrots
carrot hummus, grilled + crispy baby carrots, za'atar, hojiblanca
with spinach-goat cheese filling, dolce gorgonzola, and honey sauce
Curry Scallop Crudo
scallop with curry leche de tigre, green papaya, thai peppers, onion, and sea salt
Chorizo & Egg Carbonara
saffron spaghetti with mexican chorizo, butter, caramelized onions, parmesan, and egg yolk
Slow-Cooked Beef Short Ribs
braised in red wine and served with light bacon cannellini bean ragout
Morrita Pepper-Passion Fruit Mousse
with dark chocolate and sea salt
927 Studewood St #100
Houston, TX 77008
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- The chef will be unable to accommodate guests with gluten restrictions at this event. For other allergies or special diets, please note that accommodations can only be made if you Update Your Dietary Restrictions or email us at [email protected] no less than 72 hours before the event.