5-Course Nouveau Pan-Latin Tasting Event
Opened this past October, this Latino eatery in downtown’s Rice Hotel immediately jumped onto Eater’s “Hottest in Houston” List. Mamajuana is actually an outpost of a highly successful New York City Dominican restaurant, and here Chef Alex Del Rosario artfully explores Latino, Caribbean, and South American culinary traditions. Diners feast on Dominican specialties like mofongo (fried plantains), churrasco (marinated skirt steak) and puerquito (marinated, roasted pork shoulder) but also Asian and Caribbean-inspired dishes such as ceviche, sushi, fried snapper, and oxtail fettucine. For example, the Houston roll, an homage to the Bayou City, is a cultural mashup of chorizo, fried cheese, and avocado topped with jalapeno and spicy mayo. You’ll also love the speakeasy-style bar that’s hidden behind a large painting of El Campesino, which depicts farmers at work in the Dominican Republic. We’re excited to visit here and to dig into a whole world of tantalizing food!
About the Host:
Alexander del Rosario
Hailing from the Dominican Republic, Chef Alexander del Rosario moved to Miami at the age of 18, working with the help of chefs Alexis Pimentel and Alfredo Álvarez as a pantrista at the famous Giacosa. A graduate of Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Miami, he's previously cooked at Caramelo and NYC's Bocaditos Bistro. He is now Executive Chef for Houston's Mamajuana Cafe.
Courses #1-#4 will be served family style. Course #5 will be served individually plated. For this event’s dietary restriction accommodation policy, see the Event FAQs below.
Corn & Queso Salad
crispy bacon, avocado, queso fresco
Crabmeat Stuffed Salmon
dill, garlic, heavy cream sauce
caribbean slow cooked roasted pork, crispy leek, chimichurri sauce, house demi glaze
Mamajuana Steak & Onions
traditional dominican top sirloin, stew
Mamajuana Corn Flan
roasted corn puree, caramelized baby corn
909 Texas St
Houston, TX 77002
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
- Will this event be handicap acccessible?
- According to the restaurant, this event is handicap accessible. If applicable however, please email [email protected] with your needs to ensure proper accommodations.
- What parking information has the restaurant provided for this event?
- According to the restaurant, there is a nearby parking garage and/or lot, as well as street parking available. Parking is not validated.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $90 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except gluten allergies. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.