Luella's Southern Kitchen
5-Course Reimagining Southern Roots Tasting Event
A fixture in Logan Square since its opening in 2015, this always popular eatery has been featured on two “Best Of” 2023 Lists: Infatuation’s “Best Soul & Southern in Chicago” and Eater’s “38 Essential Chicago Restaurants.” Chef/Owner Darnell Reed, a James Beard Semi-Finalist in 2022, got his training as a hotel chef at Hilton Worldwide, Palmer House Hilton, and elsewhere. Luella’s honors his great-grandmother, Luella Funches, who came to Chicago in the ‘40s by way of Morgan City, Mississippi. Here, her tradition of expert home cooking is reflected on a menu that features timeless favorites like shrimp and grits, chicken and waffles, mac ‘n cheese, skillet cornbread, buttermilk biscuits - and the list goes on! Infatuation says, “We like to come here after a long, usually bad day to remind us that the world is full of a lot of good things, most of which can be had at Luella’s,” while Chicago Tribune salutes Luella’s for being “loaded with country charm.” As far as we’re concerned, this sounds like a perfect place to idle away a warm summer night!
About the Host:
Born and raised in Chicago, Chef Darnell Reed graduated from the Washburne Culinary Institute. He first cut his teeth in hotels, working at both Hilton Worldwide and the historic Palmer House Hilton. Luella's Southern Kitchen, opened in 2015, is his first restaurant, and earned him a James Beard "Best Chef: Great Lakes" Semi-Finalist nod in 2022.
All courses will be individually plated.
New Orleans Style Shrimp
Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
carolina gold rice
Kale Ambrosia Salad
citrus fruits, pineapple, candied pecans, goat cheese, vanilla vinaigrette
Smothered Crispy Chicken
smoked gravy, rice grits, spicy corn and pepper medley
Luella's Cherry Cobbler
streusel topping, sorghum ice cream
Luella's Southern Kitchen
4609 N Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Does this restaurant serve alcoholic beverages?
- This restaurant is a BYO establishment, so please feel free to bring your own alcoholic beverages.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $85 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, please note this restaurant is BYOB, so make sure to bring your own wine and/or beer if you'd like!
- Will this event be handicap acccessible?
- According to the restaurant, this event is handicap accessible. If applicable however, please email [email protected] with your needs to ensure proper accommodations.
- What parking information has the restaurant provided for this event?
- According to the restaurant, there is a nearby parking garage and/or lot, as well as street parking available. Parking is not validated.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for dairy allergies. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.