Laos in Town
DAY 2: 5-Course Contemporary Laotian Tasting Series
If you’ve never eaten Laotian food, now’s the time to discover another great Southeast Asian cuisine. Executive Chef Ben Tiatasin, who grew up in Bangkok, was always captivated by the taste sensations offered by Laotian street food vendors who traveled to her city. As a teen, she immigrated to Virginia, and began her culinary career, working at a variety of acclaimed Asian restaurants. She always thought back to those Laotian street food vendors, however, and, laying the groundwork for Laos in Town, which opened just about a year ago in NoMa, she made extensive research and development trips to different regions of Laos. Chef Tiatasin promptly won a Michelin Bib Gourmand award for her wondrous dishes like crispy quail and mok pla (curried catfish). “We will 100% be back to Laos in Town,” raves the Hungry Lobbyist. “Absolutely love this place, the people, and the flavors.” We also love its night market feeling, with fish baskets and pots and pans hanging from the ceiling. We will be taking over Laos in Town for our event, and Chef Tiatasin will be in and out of the kitchen to answer your questions and give you a crash course in Laotian cuisine.
About the Host:
Chef Tiatasin grew up in Bangkok, entranced by the spicy and authentic flavors of the charcoal chicken and papaya salad offered by the Laotian street food vendors who traveled to the city. She immigrated to Virginia as a teen, soon after following her culinary interests, training at DC's Esaan before opening Laos in Town in April 2019. She is a winner of Metro cooking DC 2019 Grand Tasting Best Bite Competition.
All courses will be individually plated.
shrimp wrap with chinese broccoli, rice noodle, and basil sauce
crispy rice salad with red onion, scallion, cilantro, sour pork, ginger, and peanut
pork with laotian herb sausage, ginger, peanut, chili, sundried beef, and sriracha sauce
Pla Tong Na
crispy rockfish with lemongrass, chili, cilantro, culantro, lime, ginger, red onion, cashew, peanut, roasted chili dressing, and steamed rice
taro chiffon cake with coconut custard and crispy shallot
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
Laos in Town
250 K St NE
Washington, DC 20002
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $80 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.