Lao Peng You
5-Course Chinese Heritage Tasting Event
Can a Chinese restaurant make a place for itself in Ukrainian Village? You bet. Established in 2019, Lao Peng You, which means “old friend,” has developed a loyal following. Brothers Daniel and Erik Wat set out to create a restaurant that would capture the spirit of their Nai Ni (grandmother), emulating her handmade noodles and dumplings. Chef Erik, who goes by the name Chops, eschews the Chinese-American cuisine we are used to in favor of authentic Chinese cuisine that is representative of the Xi’an region from which his family hails. That means all manner of dumplings—beef and green onion; beef and cilantro; pork and chive; egg, mushroom, and chive; egg, zucchini, and carrot—as well as delicious noodle dishes and an extraordinary xian bing (lamb-cumin bread). There are so many delights to discover here, courtesy of Chef Chops, who earned a well-deserved Chicago Rising Star Chef award in 2021.
About the Host:
Chef Eric Wat, also called Chops, grew up in Aurora, IL. Though he briefly attended culinary school, he mostly honed his skills on the job, working as a line cook around Chicago at such esteemed institutions as Soho House Chicago before striking out on his own (but with his brother!) with Lao Peng You.
Each course will be served family-style to match your party size, as you will only be sharing food with your guests (i.e. If you are attending with one guest, you will be served two portions/plate for each course). Solo attendees will be served individually-plated courses.
with garlic, cilantro, and chili oil
Wood Ear Salad
with garlic, soy, sesame oil, and fresh chili
House-Made Dumpling Duo
pork + dill and beef + green onion in broth with dried shrimp, zha cai, sesame seeds, soy, mushroom, garlic, green onion, cilantro, and chili
Dan Dan Noodles
with chopped pork, peanuts, soy, sesame, and chili oil
black sesame in glutinous rice
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, the restaurant will not be able to accommodate requests for private tables - only communal seating will be available. Additionally, as per this restaurant's policy, all attendees must be fully vaccinated and will be required to show proof of vaccination at the door to gain entry.
Lao Peng You
2020 W Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $80 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except gluten allergies. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring proof of vaccination along with a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, please note this restaurant is BYOB, so make sure to bring your own wine and/or beer if you'd like!
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, the restaurant will not be able to accommodate requests for private tables - only communal seating will be available. Additionally, as per this restaurant's policy, all attendees must be fully vaccinated and will be required to show proof of vaccination at the door to gain entry.