5-Course Cajun-Infused Vietnamese Tasting Event
What do you get when you merge Vietnamese and Cajun cuisine? It's called "Viejun," and it's irresistible. This Montrose eatery, named for her uncle, earned a place on Houston Chronicle's 2021 list of Houston's "Top 100 Restaurants," and no wonder, given the pedigree of its Executive Chef and Owner. Nikki Tran became known to American foodies after her restaurant, Ca Ba Quan in Ho Chi Minh City, was featured on David Chang's Netflix special, Ugly Delicious. Sous Chef Catina Dang will be our host for the evening, but with all the same style. She was born in the Mekong Delta in southern Vietnam and traveled from her home country to Cambodia to Thailand in her adolescent years. She then made the journey at 15 years old to Southern California, working with her family in Chinese-style restaurants. At Kâu Ba, she is delighting diners with "Viejun" wonders, including Texas-style smoked brisket pho, pork ribs with vie un sauce, and something remarkably delicious called Grandma's Subsidy, which is pork belly, anchovies, crispy rice, green onions, seaweed, and sesame seeds. Restaurant Clicks just named Kâu Ba to its list of the "Top 17 Vietnamese Restaurants in the U.S.," so, really, what more is there to say?
About the Host:
Born in Vietnam, Chef Catina "Tina" Dang moved to the US at 15 and has been cooking in restaurants across the country ever since. She was invited by Nikki Tran to join as Sous Chef for Kau Ba after its opening in 2018.
All courses will be individually plated.
Cold Mussel Salad
with lemongrass, red onion, and thai chili dressing
in-shell with green onions and fish sauce
wagyu beef skewers with betel leaves, pineapple, and nuoc mam
Mini Lobsta Banh Mi
with spiced nuoc mam butter, pate, fried onion, fried garlic, basil, and house pickles
with vanilla ice cream and nutella
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
2502 Dunlavy St Suite B
Houston, TX 77006
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $80 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.