5-Course Experimental Indian Tasting Event
Just step into this Penn Quarter restaurant and you will find soaring ceilings, large windows, and a pleasing navy-and-white palette that sets it apart from the typical Indian establishment. Then taste the food. Chef Ajay Kumar, a New Delhi native, is taking Indian cuisine to the next level with unconventional menu items like octopus, duck, and quinoa. Traditional favorites like naan, palak paneer, and chicken tikka are all given their honored place on the menu, but there is also room for surprising touches like truffle oil, pesto, and star fruit. Another surprise? As the name “Karma” suggests, there are real ethical underpinnings to this enterprise, with a portion of the restaurant’s sales going to charities that aim to help children in impoverished communities around the world. “India is my favorite journey,” says Washington Post restaurant reviewer Tom Sietsmea. “Karma reminds me why.” Take the journey with us as we move into Karma Modern Indian for the evening. Chef Kumar will be coming in and out of the kitchen to answer your questions and tell you everything you always wanted to know about one of the world’s great cuisines.
About the Host:
Chef Kumar worked for years in five Star hotels in his hometown of New Delhi, including Grand Hyatt and Hotel Nikko, before moving to D.C. in 2007. He worked very successfully as a private caterer before taking on the Executive Chef role at Karma in 2018.
Each course will be served family-style with either 2 or 3 portions/plate depending on the number of guests you are bringing to the event (i.e. if you are attending with one guest, you will be served two portions/plate). Solo attendees will receive individually-plated courses.
Tamarind Potato Sphere
with crunchy chickpea vermicelli and beetroot chutney
with minced lamb and house blend of spices
Pan Seared Scallops
with sesame seeds and red pepper sauce
with peppercorn, curry leaves, and mustard seeds
Raspberry Ras Malai
with fresh milk curds
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
611 I St NW
Washington, DC 20001
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $80 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.