6-Course American Meets Japanese Dinner Event
After nearly 8 months, we're excited to be returning to Uptown Oakland's Hopscotch, as Exec Chef/Owner Kyle Itani has a brand-new batch of recipes he'd like to test on his favorite guinea pigs! For those who need a refresher, Chef Itani is a genuine American "yonsei," fourth-generation Japanese-American (with a bit of Sicilian mixed in). This mix bodes well for food, you might think—and you’d be entirely correct. At Hopscotch, established in 2012, Chef Itani, a graduate of Yoshi’s where he rose to Chef de Cuisine, serves regional American fare with subtle Japanese influences. Imagine, if you will, a pork chop served over a foundation of thinly sliced Fuyu persimmons, with bamboo shoots and shaved pickled turnips on the side. Some call it “Asian soul food”: a tantalizing mash-up of street food and haute cuisine, old country flavors and cutting-edge cooking techniques. Hopscotch has been widely acclaimed, with the San Francisco Chronicle naming it one of the Top 100 Bay Area Restaurants and naming Chef Itani as a Rising Star Chef, with Eater naming the restaurant to it's 38 Essential Restaurants List this past summer. We will be taking over the restaurant for the evening, and Chef Itani will be on hand to answer your questions and share his food enthusiasms.
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Owner
A graduate of California Culinary Academy, Chef Itani cut his teeth first at Shotaro Kamio’s Yoshi’s and then in Sendai, Japan. He came back to the states to cook at The Meatball Shop in NYC before returning to the Bay Area to open Hopscotch. He's since opened two more Oakland eateries - Itani Ramen and Thistle Meats.
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
Cold Smoked Hamachi
with radish, pomegranate, and ponzu
with pickled chanterelles
with tangerines and fried sunchokes
with fuyu persimmon relish
Llano Seco Pork Loin
with gypsy peppers
Skillet Apple Pie
with vanilla gelato and kinako
1915 San Pablo Ave
Oakland, CA 94612
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.