5-Course Nouveau Taverna Tasting Event
Setting up shop in Rice Village in 2015, Helen Greek was established with the mission of moving beyond the ubiquitous moussaka, pastitsio, gyros, and souvlakis to lesser known dishes that Chef Dennis Stephenson wants you to discover. And you should pay attention, because Helen Greek was a James Beard Best New Restaurant semifinalist in 2016, one of the 100 Best Restaurants in the South according to Southern Living, and offers the “Best Greek Food,” according to the Houston Press’s “Best of Houston 2020.” Here, you’ll find dishes like Cypriot Meatballs with potatoes and mint, chickpea puree, and herb salad, feta-brined roast chicken with lemon potatoes and sautéed peppers and onions, and braised lamb shank with grits, cipollini onions, and baby carrots. Houston Eater named Helen Greek to its 2016 list of “The Best New Restaurants in America,” calling it “a boon to Space City, not to mention some of the finest Hellenic cooking in the country.” The Greeks have a word for it: delish?
About the Host:
Chef Dennis Stephenson was born and raised in Trench Town, located in the heart of Kingston, Jamaica. He attended Culinary School at the Boys Town Art Institute. In 2010 he came to America on a Field & Track and Academic scholarship. He began working at Holley's Seafood under Mark Holley before leaving to help open Potente and Osso & Kristalla before joining the team at Helen Greek Food and Wine.
All courses will be individually plated.
Duo of Dips
chickpea and tzatziki dips with grilled pita
Greek Village Salad
with heirloom tomato, persian cucumber, kalamata olive, feta, red onion, red wine vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil
Greens & Cheese Pie
with phyllo pastry and fried capers
with roasted lemon potatoes, marinated feta and pepperoncini, sauteed peppers and onions
with toasted pecans, warm spices, and syrup-soaked phyllo layers
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, we will not be requiring attendees to show proof of vaccination at the door to gain entry.
2429 Rice Boulevard
Houston, TX 77005
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $75 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.