DAY 2: 5-Course Izakaya Inspired Dinner Series
Hannyatou, in Fremont, is a sake bar most nights. Executive Chef Mutsuko Soma, whose Kamonegi was named one of the 18 Best New Restaurants in America by Eater and 50 Best New Restaurants in America by Bon Appetit, wanted to acquaint her Hannyatou diners with the revered Japanese tradition of the izakaya, or small plates restaurants. The izakaya was an outgrowth of Japanese liquor stores that started opening in the 18th century, where customers bought sake and were then encouraged to ‘stay for a drink’ (the literal meaning of izakaya). For our event, however, Chef Soma will be executing our usual format format, so be prepared for a mix of plates drawn from the highly creative Hannyatou menu, which includes dishes like spam & chicken liver mousse, Japanese egg salad with shallots and kewpie, and yakionigiri, which are rice balls with cheddar jalapeño bagel miso. We will be taking over the restaurant for this event, and Chef Soma will be in and out of the kitchen to answer your questions and discuss the Japanese izakaya tradition.
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Co-Owner
Originally from Japan, Chef Soma opened the wildly popular Kamonegi after spending years immersed in Japanese soba and sake traditions, garnering such honors as Food & Wine Magazine's Best Chefs List '19, Bon Appetit's 50 Best New Restaurants '19, and a James Beard Award nomination for Best Chef, Northwest. She opened her second restaurant, Hannyatou, in May 2019.
Each course will be plated individually.
chilled fried salmon marinated in a traditional sweet and sour vegetable pickle
assorted seasonal pickled vegetables in traditional Japanese style
Winter Shiraee Salad
with beets, green beans, tofu sesame vin, and grapes
Pork Belly Congee
with sous vide egg and scallion
Cinnamon Bun Mochi
1060 N 39th St
Seattle, WA 98103
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring proof of COVID-19 vaccination (refer to the "what qualifies as valid proof of vaccination" question below for more info on this) and a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $75 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member and all guests must also present proof of full vaccination upon arrival at the event in order to gain entry.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who fail to present proof of full vaccination upon arrival, and/or have not paid the guest ticket surcharge, will not be allowed entry.
- What qualifies as valid proof of vaccination?
- To verify that you are fully vaccinated, and gain entry to the event, you must present to our event lead any one of the following forms of proof: your original physical vaccination card, a clearly legible photo of your original vaccination card, or the CLEAR Health Pass App. Please note, you will be only be considered “fully vaccinated” if it has been at least 14 days since you've received either (a) a second shot of the Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, or (b) a single shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. More questions about this? Check out our COVID-19-Related Event Requirements.
- Will this event be hosted indoors or outdoors?
- This event will be hosted indoors, as we will be taking over the entire restaurant for it. The restaurant will be closed to the public, and only fully vaccinated attendees will be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for those with gluten or soy allergies. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.