6-Course Bavarian Roots Dinner Event
“Wine, stein, dine” is the motto of this welcome addition to West Town, which Time Out named one of the 15 Best New Restaurants in Chicago in 2018. Chef Mark Steuer, a veteran of eateries like Hot Chocolate, Carriage House, Bedford, The Gage, and Rootstock, was raised in Charleston, South Carolina, but would travel in the summers to Germany, birthplace of his father and homeland of his maternal grandparents. Creating a menu where German and Southern culinary traditions could comfortably co-exist never seemed out of reach for Steuer, and Funkenhausen stands as an unusual hybrid where smoked spare ribs sidle up to wurst and sauerkraut. And if you’re a spaetzle fan—and who isn’t?—you are likely to find ingenious variations on that favorite dish. “It’s hard to stop smiling,” reported the Chicago Tribune after their visit this past November. We will be taking over this spiffy brasserie for our event, and Chef Steuer will be on hand to take your questions, share his story, and spread enthusiasm for these two cuisines that come together so harmoniously under his roof.
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Owner
A native of South Carolina, Chef Steuer came to Chicago in 2007. He first honed his craft as chef de cuisine at Mindy's Hot Chocolate, then running the opening kitchens at Carriage House and El Che Bar. He opened his first restaurant, Funkenhausen, in August 2018.
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
with pimento beer cheese
with sauce gribiche, crab, fennel, and radish
Boudin Noir Balls
with fava beans, crawfish, creole mustard, and pickled fennel
Smoked Spare Ribs
with alabama white sauce
Dry Aged Pork Chop
with ramp salsa verde and english pea succotash
Black Forest Cake
with white chocolate ganache, haus brandied cherries, and caramel tuile
1709 W Chicago Ave, Chicago, IL 60622
Chicago, IL 60622
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.