Fish & Bird
5-Course Inventive Izakaya Tasting Event
“New Japanese” best characterizes the menu at this downtown Berkeley eatery, opened in January 2020. Chef/Owner Asuka Uchida set out to create an izakaya where she could merge her classical training in Japanese and French cooking techniques. Her modern, sophisticated interpretation of traditional dishes reflect current trends in Japan. Chef Uchida grew up in Okayama, Japan, where her family owned a restaurant, but her first years as a professional chef were focused on French cuisine. She moved to Australia, where she was executive chef at Medusa in Brisbane, and then headed to New York, where she staged at lauded Tribeca New French restaurant, Corton, before relocating to the Bay Area, where she cooked at Spruce, Yuzuki, Urchin, and then B-Dama. Here, at Fish & Bird, she uses local, sustainable, seasonal ingredients, infused with the best quality ingredients imported from Japan, in tapas-style dishes that have earned this unique establishment a place on Eater’s “38 Essential Restaurants in the Bay Area” and “20 Destination-Worthy Restaurants in Berkeley” lists. “A stylish gem” is how the Michelin Guide dubs Fish & Bird, and we can’t wait to visit!
About the Host:
A native of Okayama, Japan, Chef Asuka Uchida has been the executive chef for restaurants around the globe, including two-Michelin-starred Corton in New York and Michelin-starred Spruce in San Francisco. She opened Fish & Bird in January 2020.
All courses will be individually plated.
House Made Yuba Salad
with wakaime and tosazu sauce
with garlic anchovy ponzu
Kaki & Chicken Karaage
panko-crusted fried oysters, house ume shiso tartar sauce | marinated, deep-fried chicken, curry sancho salt
Smoked Umimasu & Negitoro Minidon
smoked ocean trout and fatty bluefin tuna with chopped scallions, cucumber, shredded tomago, and sushi rice
Hojicha Ice Cream
house made ice cream infused with roasted japanese green tea and organic cream
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
Fish & Bird
2451 Shattuck Ave
Berkeley, CA 94704
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $80 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.