6-Course Urban Oaxacan Dinner Event
Fans of Mexican food will be excited to discover Espita, a classic “mezcaleria” in the Shaw neighborhood that serves Oaxacan cuisine. This food of southern Mexico features the same staples used in all Mexican cuisine—corn, beans, and chile peppers—but the state’s geographical and cultural variety means there are many diverse influences at work. At Espita, Chef Benjamin Tenner offers traditional cuisine seen through the lens of the Mid-Atlantic, applying authentic flavors and techniques to the seasonal bounty of our region. Whether it’s tacos, tlayudas (a street snack often called the Mexican pizza), memorable moles, or a range of mezcals, you’ll experience intense taste sensations. Prepare to be stunned as well by the extraordinary murals by Yescka, a well-known Oaxacan street artist. “The scenery has the same effect as the food and drink,” says the Washington Post. “It wakes you up and stirs the senses.” We will be taking over the restaurant for this event, and Chef Tenner will spend some time with us, sharing his love for all things Oaxacan.
About the Host:
Chef de Cuisine
Chef Ben Tenner began his culinary career in New York restaurant groups as chef de cuisine of American Tandoor, Farmers, Fishers and Bakers, and Mama Rogue. Moving to DC in 2016, he was promoted to Executive Chef at Matchbox before joining Espita in 2018.
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
Aguachile de Hamachi
with coconut, macadamia, rhubarb, kohlrabi, and avocado
Taco de Pescado
with crispy flounder, salsa tartara, avocado, and pickled kohlrabi
with baby gem lettuce, avocado, queso fresco, savory nuts and seeds, and garlic and jalapeño ‘césar’ dressing
roasted cauliflower with chipotle cauliflower puree, delicata squash, and smoked hazelnut and arbol salsa
Mole Manchamanteles con Pollo
chicken with red mole sauce two ways
Charred Coconut Husk Churros
with passionfruit caramel
1250 9th St NW
Washington, DC, DC 20001
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.