5-Course Ode to Havana Tasting Event
Named to Eater’s latest “13 Hottest Restaurants in Charlotte” List and Charlotte Observer's " Hottest New Restaurants of 2021" List, this scorching hot new eatery in Madison Park showcases a dynamic but not widely known cuisine. Step inside and you’ll feel the elegance, glamour, and history that was once Havana. Chef Felix Gonzalez began line cooking in well-known Miami restaurants like El Toro Loco and Cafe La Trova before becoming head chef at Old Havana Cuban Cuisine and then sous chef at Kuba Cabana. At El Puro, he turns out deeply authentic (and deeply delicious) dishes like ropa vieja, paella, chuleta matamoros (grilled pork loin with parsley-mojo marinade) and rabo encendido (red wine-braised oxtail). Axios’ restaurant reviewer said, “As a Cuban immigrant myself, I’m always looking for comfort food that reminds me of home. El Puro delivers.” Small wonder that Axios named El Puro to its latest list of “The 9 Best New Restaurants” in the Queen City. We’re excited to hear from Chef Gonzalez and to enjoy El Puro’s food and its soundtrack of Celia Cruz, Benny Moré, and other legendary Cuban musicians!
About the Host:
Born and raised in Cuba, Chef Felix Gonzalez emigrated to the US (Miami) six years ago and immediately dove headfirst into the city's burgeoning culinary scene. Prior to relocating to Charlotte to take the helm at El Puro, he spent years rising through the kitchen ranks at a number of Miami's top Cuban restaurants including El Toro Loco, Cafe La Trova, Old Havana Cuban Cuisine, and Kuba Cabana.
All courses will be individually plated.
Tamal En Cazúela
steamed cuban corn masa with garlic and pork chicharron
sauteed chickpeas with spanish chorizo, smoked bacon, and housemade sofrito
Masitas De La Loma
fried pork shoulder with caramelized onions and garlic + onion mojo
shredded brisket with criolla jus, red peppers, onions, and roasted potatoes
nutella mousse with maria's butter cookie and dark chocolate dust
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per this restaurant's policy, as well as local guidelines, we will not be requiring proof of COVID vaccination from attendees to gain entry.
5033 South Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28217
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $75 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will not be able to accommodate any dietary restrictions or allergies except for those with gluten allergies. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.