5-Course Nouveau Southern Tasting Event
Opened in the spring of 2022 in the sleek and stylish Thompson Hotel, this celebration of Southern cuisine was named to both Texas Monthly’s and Austin Monthly’s Lists of “Best New Restaurants of 2023.” It is the baby of Chef Mashama Bailey, whose restaurant The Grey in Savannah was named the best in the country by Eater in 2014. On top of that, Chef Bailey won a James Beard Award as Best Chef: Southwest in 2019 and a Beard Award as Outstanding Chef in 2022. Arriving in Austin, she opened the popular Grey Market in the Thompson Hotel and then, a month later, the Diner Bar, now in the capable hands of our host for this evening, Chef de Cuisine Peter Klimov. Here, you will find favorites like deviled eggs with smoked fish and trout roe, shrimp toast, chicken country captain, rabbit dirty rice, and pork schnitzel. Save room for the luscious desserts as well, like chess pie and orange dream tea cake. It’s all served up in a retro diner setting that is infused with ample amounts of contemporary chic. “Sublime,” says Austin American-Statesman, so, naturally, we are over the top to visit here!
About the Host:
Chef de Cuisine
An Iraq veteran, Chef Peter Kimov cooked in the kitchens of Olamaie, Barr Mansion and Hotel Ella before joining the Diner Bar team in 2023. Before Austin, he also honed his craft at Three-Michelin-Starred Nomad with James Beard Award-Winning Chef Daniel Humm.
All courses will be individually plated. For this event’s dietary restriction accommodation policy, see the Event FAQs below.
apple mustard, pickled mustard seed
kafir lime leaf oil, apple, bay leaf
smoked chimichurri, pickled mustard seed, espelette pepper
Koji Marinated Beef Tenderloin
Milk & Honey
dehydrated milk foam, graham cracker, local honey
500 San Jacinto Blvd
Austin, TX 78701
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for those with garlic or allium allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $90 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- Will this event be handicap acccessible?
- According to the restaurant, this event is handicap accessible. If applicable however, please email [email protected] with your needs to ensure proper accommodations.
- What parking information has the restaurant provided for this event?
- According to the restaurant, they offer complimentary valet parking.