5-Course Izakaya Inspired Dinner Event
If you haven’t yet discovered the izakaya experience, now is the time. An izakaya, or Japanese pub, is not dissimilar from an Irish pub. (But with way better food!) The cuisine is freestyle and adaptive in nature, with plates that are typically small, so one can sample many. Daikaya, which means “house of the cooking pot,” is an ingenious hybrid creation from Daisuke Utagawa, co-owner of the popular Sushiko restaurants in Washington and Chevy Chase, who brings together two restaurants under one roof. On the first floor is a ramen house and on the second is the izakaya, both helmed by Chef Katsuya Fukushima, who previously served as chef de cuisine at Café Atlantico, where he earned StarChefs' prestigious "Rising Star Chef" Award. We will be taking over the izakaya half of Daikaya for our event, sampling foods that could range from grilled avocado to cacio e pepe udon to pork and Brussel sprout skewers. “Behind every dish is a little story or a playful touch,” says the Washington Post, and Chef Fukushima will be on hand to share those stories, introduce each course, and take your questions.
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Co-Owner
A native of Baltimore, Chef Katsuya Fukushima attended L’Academie de Cuisine in Gaithersburg, Maryland, shortly afterwards joining the kitchen at Jaleo under Chef Jose Andres, who became a mentor and friend. Fukushima came on as Chef de Cuisine at Andres' Café Atlanticó & Minibar in 2002, where his work earned him StarChef's Rising Star Chef Award in 2006. He opened his first restaurant, Daikaya, in January 2013.
Each course will be plated individually.
with apple, dashi, and wasabi
with mentaiko and soft herbs
Salmon "Pierre Troisgros"
barely cooked salmon with creamy sorrel sauce
Wagyu Beef Kare
homestyle beef curry with koshihikari rice and pickles
Pork Fat Chocolate Chip Cookie
with blue cheese
705 6th St NW
Washington, DC, DC 20001
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring proof of COVID-19 vaccination (refer to the "what qualifies as valid proof of vaccination" question below for more info on this) and a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $75 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member and all guests must also present proof of full vaccination upon arrival at the event in order to gain entry.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who fail to present proof of full vaccination upon arrival, and/or have not paid the guest ticket surcharge, will not be allowed entry.
- What qualifies as valid proof of vaccination?
- To verify that you are fully vaccinated, and gain entry to the event, you must present to our event lead any one of the following forms of proof: your original physical vaccination card, a clearly legible photo of your original vaccination card, or the CLEAR Health Pass App. Please note, you will be only be considered “fully vaccinated” if it has been at least 14 days since you've received either (a) a second shot of the Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, or (b) a single shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. More questions about this? Check out our COVID-19-Related Event Requirements.
- Will this event be hosted indoors or outdoors?
- This event will be hosted indoors, as we will be taking over the entire restaurant for it. The restaurant will be closed to the public, and only fully vaccinated attendees will be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for those with gluten, nuts, or soy allergies. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.