Cruz Del Sur
5-Course Memories Of Guadalajara Tasting Event
In April 2022, Chef/Co-Owner Hugo Orozco opened this Prospect Heights eatery with a mission: to bring the glories of Guadalajaran cuisine to New York City, where he felt it was seriously underrepresented. Chef Orozco grew up and worked in Guadalajara, specifically in the Cruz Del Sur neighborhood which lends its name to this venture. He created a successful food truck operation in Guadalajara called La Slowteria, which he then moved to Tulum and ultimately to Brooklyn. He then went on to cook at important restaurants in the city like Vida Verde in Brooklyn and Rosie's in Manhattan. At Cruz Del Sur, Chef Orozco is serving up only the exceptional: tacos on house-made tortillas; carne en su jugo (chuck steak braised with bone marrow and garnished with beans, onions, and bacon); not to mention torta ahogada--a salsa-soaked carnitas sandwich (there's also a vegetarian oyster mushroom version) that is a famous hangover cure. Eater cited it as one of its favorite dishes, and in fact, Eater is so enthused about Cruz Del Sur that it named it to its August 2022 list of "Hottest Spots in NYC Right Now." We're excited to visit here and to hear from Chef Orozco about the food of his hometown.
About the Host:
Born in Mazatlan, Mexico and raised in Guadalajara, Chef Hugo Orozco started his career with the food truck La Slowteria in the Cruz del Sur neighborhood before moving it to Tulum and Brooklyn. He cooked at Las Santas, Vida Verde, and Rosies before opening Cruz Del Sur in April 2022.
All courses will be individually plated.
mexican crudités, seasonal herbs, pumpkin seeds
pork belly, charred salsa, chihuahua cheese
Duck Pozole Seco
duck breast with hominy, oregano, dry chiles, toasted tortilla
Torta Ahogada Duo
guadalajaran classic with sourdough, poached shrimp, pork carnitas, tomato broth, chipotle cream
burnt custard, cinnamon, buñuelo
Cruz Del Sur
622 Washington Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11238
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $85 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.