5-Course Modern Szechuan Tasting Event
Opened this past November, this Chinese eatery in Hell’s Kitchen has already hopped onto Eater’s 2023 list of “Hottest in Manhattan” - and that’s saying something in a town with more restaurants than almost anywhere in the world! Founded by Chefs Tom Lei and Thomas Lo, Chi Restaurant offers a modern take on Szechuan cuisine (with a few Cantonese, Hunan, and Beijing accents here and there.) Hosting Chef Lo, who trained at a culinary institute, also happens to be an anesthesiologist in Queens by day. So, he knows a thing or two about the pleasurably numbing effects of Szechuan peppercorns. Here diners can savor poached chicken with chili sauce, marinated duck tongue, and sweet stuffed lotus root with sticky rice - not to mention divine dim sum. But there are also influences from other world cuisines, as seen in the steamed pork belly with preserved cabbage and Castelvetrano olives and the beef tendon with caviar. We are pumped to visit here and to meet Chef Lo, who manages to have a foot in two very different worlds. How, we wonder, does he manage?
About the Host:
An anesthesiologist and Forest Hills resident, Chef Thomas Lo studied at the International Culinary Center in Manhattan and staged at a series of high-end restaurants before partnering up with Chef Tom Lei. He is the owner and culinary director of Spy C Cuisine, a Michelin Bib Gourmand designated restaurant.
Courses #1 - #4 will be served family style. Course #5 will be individually plated.
Crispy Potatoes & Prawns
Lamb Cumin Inferno
szechuan peppercorn, onion, pepper
steamed pork belly, preserved mustard greens
Imperial Truffled Eggplant
chef's master sauce
chinese ice jelly, seasonal fruit
492 9th Ave
New York, NY 10018
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $85 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate most dietary restrictions and food allergies except for those with gluten, soy, vegetarian, pescatarian, pork, alliums, or garlic restrictions. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.