Cantina La Martina
5-Course Ode To Puebla Tasting Event
Just opened this past February, this Kensington eatery has been gathering accolades, from Thrillist’s “8 Must-Visit New Restaurants in Philadelphia” to Eater’s “Hottest New Restaurants in Philly.” Executive Chef/Owner Dionicio Jiménez, a veteran of such top Philly kitchens as Vetri Cucina, Xochitl, and El Rey, grew up in San Mateo Ozolco, a small town south of Mexico City. In 1998, in search of a better life, he walked thousands of miles, slept in deserts, endured days and nights with no sleep, and fearlessly swam across an icy river, finally making his way to Philadelphia to live with his brother. Fifteen years after crossing the border, Chef Jiménez became a US citizen and now, as one of the city’s most exciting chefs, he is enriching our lives. At Cantina La Martina, he is turning out brilliant dishes, like mis 3 Amore (chicken with homemade poblano, negro, and blanco mole), zarandeado (chile and spice-rubbed salmon), and cabrito (goat braised with agave leaves, pulque, and pickled cactus). We can’t wait to visit, to sample Chef Jiménez’s food, and to hear more about his remarkable life journey.
About the Host:
Hailing from a small town in Puebla, MX, Chef Jimenez immigrated to the US in 1998 and jumped right into Philly's restaurant scene (first as a dishwasher). Over the course of his incredible 2+ decades as a chef, he served as Sous Chef at Vetri, Executive Chef at Xochitl, and Executive Chef at El Rey, before finally striking out on his own with Cantina La Martina earlier this year (Feb, '22).
All courses will be individually plated.
with mexican herbs, chimichurri, and escamoles
with huitlacoche truffle and green pipian sauce
with black habanero and nances
with mole negro and rice
with white chocolate-pasilla pepper and tomatillo marmalade
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, we will not be requiring attendees to show proof of vaccination at the door to gain entry.
Cantina La Martina
2800 D St.
Philadelphia, PA 19134
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $80 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.