5-Course Rustic French Tasting Event
Opened in late 2019, this French eatery (located in the stunning Higgins Hotel in the Arts and Warehouse District) was named to USA Today’s “10 Best in NOLA” List - and it's no wonder why. Executive Chef Virgile Brandel, a French native, is an alumnus of The Grill Room at London’s Dorchester Hotel (recipient of three Michelin stars) and L’Assiette Champenoise in Reims (awarded two Michelin stars), not to mention his feature piece StarChefs. In Café Normandie’s elegant setting, he is turning out superlative versions of classic French dishes like steak frites and confit duck cassoulet, as well as New Orleans classics like Cajun paella, oyster po boy, and soft shell crabs and grits. A World War II theme makes Café Normandie an especially memorable experience, with a large mural depicting Normandy Beach and a lobby bar called Kilroy’s, named for the iconic American wartime cartoon character who brought levity during difficult times. “Rustic French cuisine shakes hands with the New Orleans table,” is how USA Today describes Café Normandie, “and everything is tasty here.” C’est bon, non?
About the Host:
Hailing from France, Chef Virgile Brandel studied culinary arts at École Hôtelière en Marne. An alumnus of London’s Three-Michelin-Starred Dorchester Hotel and Two-Michelin-Starred L’Assiette Champenoise, he has also cooked for Boccaccio and the Atrio Restaurant & Wine Room. He joined the Higgins Hotel team in 2019.
All courses will be individually plated. For this event’s dietary restriction accommodation policy, see the Event FAQs below.
Deviled Egg Mimosa
smoked gulf trout, frisée lettuce, cajun caviar
absinthe, black garlic butter, wilted baby spinach, roasted almond
Crawfish Open Ravioli
veal sweetbread, exotic mushroom, fava bean, crawfish foam bisque
Red Wine Braised Beef Cheeks
organic hopi blue grits, smoked pancetta, glazed baby carrot, mushroom, caramelized pearl onion
Chocolate Almond Mille-Feuille
chocolate, sweet puff pastry, toasted almond, custard
1000 Magazine St
New Orleans, LA 70130
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $90 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate most dietary restrictions and food allergies except for those with nut/seed, mushroom, allium, or garlic restrictions. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.
- What parking information has the restaurant provided for this event?
- Parking is available at The National WWII Museum Garage, immediately adjacent to the entrance of the Hotel at 1002 Magazine Street. Parking rates are hourly and for the three hours estimated for the dinner, a fee of $15 will be charged. The hotel does not operate the garage.