5-Course Post-Colonial Vietnamese Tasting Event
‘Bolero,’ the genre of song that originated in Cuba in the 19th century, became a dance craze in South Vietnam back in the 1950s and remains popular among Vietnamese expats to this day. And so, it is a fitting name for Chef Matt Le-Khac’s Williamsburg restaurant. Launched in February 2020, Bolero was awarded a Michelin Bib Gourmand that year and was lauded by Architectural Digest for its stunning modern interior. After earning a PhD in Biochemistry from Columbia University, Chef Le-Khac cut his culinary teeth working at Brooklyn’s The Finch, Benu in San Francisco, and the renowned Blue Hill at Stone Barns before becoming head chef at Ăn Chơi on Orchard Street. He is also the proud owner of a four-acre family farm where he grows the unique herbs that he uses in his cooking. Bolero’s signature dishes include pomelo crab salad, Hanoi-style skate salad, and con ngheu hap, which are littleneck clams in beer and lemongrass topped with crumbly salted egg yolk. Those dishes and more explain why Eater named Bolero one of “The Essential 38 Restaurants in New York City.”
About the Host:
Hailing from outside Philadelphia and with parents from the Huế region of Vietnam, Chef Le-Khac has spent much of his life in NYC, getting his doctorate degree at Columbia in Biochemistry before joining the culinary scene at Ăn Chơi, where he eventually became head chef. He later worked at Michelin starred eateries The Finch and Blue Hill at Stone Barns. In 2020, he struck out on his own and opened Bolero in Williamsburg.
All courses will be individually plated.
"Bánh Bèo" Con Sò Sống
scallop crudo and shrimp crumble with berkshire pork crackling, scallion, dulse, and fish sauce vinaigrette
littlenecks + broken rice soup with saffron, elephant ear stalk, starfruit, viet coriander, shrimp paste, and sesame cracker
Nem Lụi Huế
grilled pork lemongrass skewers with shrimp sauce, morningdew rice paper, star fruit, fishmint, and little gems
Bún Bò Huế
spicy lemongrass pork and beef soup with sliced beef shin, pig feet, blood pudding, shaved banana blossom, thai basil, viet coriander, culantro, charred scallion oil, and annatto tallow
Bánh Bò Nướng
pandan honeycomb cake with buddha hand jam and roasted almond seed butter
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
As per this restaurant's policy, all attendees must be fully vaccinated and will be required to show proof of vaccination at the door to gain entry. We will also be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating, and all food will be served individually plated.
177 Bedford Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11211
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $75 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What qualifies as valid proof of vaccination?
- To verify that you are fully vaccinated, and gain entry to the event, you must present to our event lead any one of the following forms of proof: your original physical vaccination card, a clearly legible photo of your original vaccination card, the CLEAR Health Pass App, the Excelsior Pass, or the NYC COVID Safe App. Please note, you will be only be considered “fully vaccinated” if it has been at least 14 days since you've received either (a) a second shot of the Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, or (b) a single shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. More questions about this? Contact us at [email protected]
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for dairy allergies. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- As per this restaurant's policy, all attendees must be fully vaccinated and will be required to show proof of vaccination at the door to gain entry. We will also be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating, and all food will be served individually plated.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring proof of vaccination along with a government-issued photo ID.