5-Course Farm-To-Fixin’s Tasting Event
Eater National cited this Andersonville eatery, opened in 2008, as "one of the most important Southern restaurants in the country," naming its fried chicken as the best of its kind anywhere. Chef/Owner Paul Fehribach is a perennial James Beard "Best Chef: Great Lakes" semifinalist, but his favorite bragging right is defeating Bobby Flay on the eponymous Beat Bobby Flay, season 20, episode 1. All the glories of Southern cooking are on hand at Big Jones, from deviled crawfish cakes to shrimp and grits, crispy catfish, sweet potato hash, bourbon bread pudding, and lots of other things that make diners very, very happy. And it's all served up in an environment that recalls a hip French Quarter establishment, with wrought-iron chandeliers, damask wallpaper, and such. Chef Fehribach is a farm-to-table pioneer who gets his ingredients from local purveyors and artisan producers of the grits and cornmeal with which he works wonders. (FYI, the Chicago Tribune calls his cornbread "insanely good.”) We are really looking forward to experiencing Chef Fehribach's cooking and hearing all about the very distinguished legacy that is Southern cuisine.
About the Host:
Born and raised in Southern Indiana, Chef Paul Fehribach has been cooking for decades, nabbing his first Executive Chef position at just 24. After moving to Chicago, he managed Schubas Tavern before opening Big Jones in 2008. He is an eight-time James Beard "Best Chef: Great Lakes" semifinalist and author of two cookbooks.
All courses will be individually plated.
Smothered Louisiana Crawfish Tails
carolina gourdseed, white corn grits
Rutabaga and Leek Puree
pumpernickel croutons, apple chutney, pepitas, sage
Little Gem and Oak Leaf Salad
local pears, black walnuts, tomme cheese, seeded benne cracker, sorghum butter
Fischer Farms Oxtail Ragu
maitake mushrooms, tomato confit, potato cavatappi
Local Apple and Pear Strudel
black walnut macaroon crumble, burnt cinnamon and orange peel ice cream
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
5347 N Clark St
Chicago, IL 60640
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $85 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.