Be More Pacific
6-Course Tribute to Manila Dinner Event
The restaurant world remains perhaps the best arena in which newly-arrived immigrants can seize a piece of the American Dream. Be More Pacific started in 2011 as a food truck whose mission was to make Austinites fall in love with Filipino cooking. They succeeded beyond their wildest expectations. In 2017, with a fiercely loyal client base, they opened their spiffy bricks-and-mortar digs in North Shoal Creek. Chef Salvador “Buddy” Melgarejo came on board to handle the cooking end of the new restaurant, and he is having a field day. If Filipino cooking is still new to you, you’ll be discovering a cuisine that is often called the original fusion food, with Malaysian, Chinese, and Spanish flavors. There’s a focus on poultry and pork, and many dishes use vinegars and Spanish spices. Here, you might find Kare Kare, a brisket-based stew served with bok choy, long beans, and eggplant, or SCCLBFR—Spicy Curry Coconut Lime Bacon Fried Rice—which comes with a fried egg and green onion garnish. “A fun and approachable experience for those unfamiliar with the cuisine,” says the Austin Chronicle. We will be taking over the restaurant for this event, and Chef Melgarejo will be in and out of the kitchen to take your questions and walk you through the splendors of his native cuisine.
About the Host:
Salvador "Buddy" Melgarejo
Chef Melgarejo took early inspiration from his baker mother and chef older brother, becoming the Exec Chef at Tableu Grill and Bar, “Restobar” specializing in Traditional Filipino Cuisine in Luzon when he was 22. Moving to Austin, he worked in hotels and country clubs before coming on as Executive Chef of Be More Pacific in 2019.
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
spring mix with fresh watermelon, strawberries, dried cranberries, almonds, and raspberry vinaigrette
crispy pork, mayonnaise, and onions served on a sizzling platter with raw egg and lime
roasted pork belly served with homemade lechon sauce
Adobo Chicken Wings
chicken wings braised in soy sauce, garlic, vinegar and served with sauteed red onions
beef marrow stew with beef ribs, corn, and potatoes
dessert lumpia stuffed with banana and jackfruit and drizzled with coconut syrup
Be More Pacific
7858 Shoal Creek Blvd, Austin, TX 78757
Austin, TX 78757
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.