Be More Pacific
5-Course Tribute to Manila Tasting Event
The restaurant world remains perhaps the best arena in which newly-arrived immigrants can seize a piece of the American Dream. Be More Pacific started in 2011 as a food truck whose mission was to make Austinites fall in love with Filipino cooking. They succeeded beyond their wildest expectations. In 2017, with a fiercely loyal client base, they opened their spiffy bricks-and-mortar digs in Austin, and in March 2020, they expanded to Houston! Chef Julio Ortega came on board to handle the cooking end of the new restaurant, and he is having a field day. If Filipino cooking is still new to you, you’ll be discovering a cuisine that is often called the original fusion food, with Malaysian, Chinese, and Spanish flavors. There’s a focus on poultry and pork, and many dishes use vinegars and Spanish spices. Here, you might find Kare Kare, a brisket-based stew served with bok choy, long beans, and eggplant, or SCCLBFR—Spicy Curry Coconut Lime Bacon Fried Rice—which comes with a fried egg and green onion garnish. “A fun and approachable experience for those unfamiliar with the cuisine,” says the Austin Chronicle. We will be taking over the restaurant for this event, and Chef Julio Ortega will be in and out of the kitchen to take your questions and walk you through the splendors of Filipino cuisine.
About the Host:
Hailing from Guerrero, Mexico, Chef Ortega attended culinary school at The Art Institute of Houston, where he honed his craft under renowned Chef Roshni Gurnani. Since then, he has cut his teeth in the kitchens of Guru Burgers, Arco d’oro, and Saltgrass, before recently taking the reigns at Be More Pacific.
All courses will be individually plated.
refried lechon beans with thinly sliced marinated ribeye, microgreens, bell peppers, sour cream, and radish
Cola BBQ Pork Belly
with pickled radish, onions, cherry tomatoes, and thai chilies
Inihaw Na Pusit
pico de gallo, ginger, and garlic-stuffed jumbo squid with a soy-lemon sauce
marinated ribeye with fried garlic, steamed white rice, grilled bok choy, and onions
with coconut syrup and crispy coconut flakes
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
Be More Pacific
506 Yale St, Suite E
Houston, TX 77007
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $80 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.