DAY 1: 6-Course Contemporary Indian Dinner Series
It's been almost a year since our last visit to Chef Sujan Sarkar's Baar Baar, so when we heard Chef Sarkar was cooking up a brand new 6-course menu for his favorite guinea pigs, we just couldn't say no! For those who don't remember, East Village’s Baar Baar (which means ‘again and again’) is in a class of its own. For one thing, it is New York’s first modern Indian gastro bar, challenging your preconceptions about every Indian restaurant you’ve ever eaten in. Chef Sarkar, named by the Times of India as India’s chef of the year for 2016, has a remarkable pedigree gained from his far-ranging global cooking experiences. He worked at the Michelin-starred ‘Galvin at Windows’ at London Park Lane, the ‘Automat and Almada’ at Mayfair London, and took over the helm at Olive Bar & Kitchen in New Delhi. Then, he opened Rooh in San Francisco, where he served his interpretation of new-age Indian cuisine. With Baar Baar, he is exploring new directions that reimagine one of the world’s great cuisines. We will be taking over the restaurant for this event, and Chef Sarkar will take your questions and regale you with stories of his journey through the world of food.
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Co-Owner
Chef Sarkar grew up in India, but built his culinary career in London: first at Michelin-starred restaurant Galvin at Windows, and later at Fifteen, Automat, and Almada. In 2016, he moved back to India where he was recognized as Chef of the Year by Times of India in 2016. In 2017, he relocated to San Francisco to open acclaimed eatery, ROOH, before settling down in NYC with Baar Baar.
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
Avocado & Green Chickpea Chat
with radish, cilantro, and puffed black rice
Duck Shami Kebab
with huckleberry chutney and fennel
with asparagus, tomato pachadi, and peanut thecha
Chili Garlic Prawn
with taftan bread
with roasted red pepper makhani and fenugreek
Carrot Halwa Cake
with pistachio and saffron-kulfi ice cream
13 E 1st St
New York, NY 10003
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.