Day 2: 5-Course Avant-American Tasting Series
Opened this past June, this sophisticated South Philly bistro (located near the Italian Market) immediately landed on two of Infatuation’s 2023 Lists: “Best New in Philly" and "Philly Openings You Should Know About.” Well, now we do, and we’re excited to learn even more! While this is Dave Conn’s first endeavor as a chef-owner, it's not his first culinary rodeo by any means. He cooked for 12 years under renowned chef Jose Garces, a 2009 James Beard Award "Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic" Winner, and was most recently the Executive Chef at El Vez. When he decided to open his own place, it seemed only natural to name it for his late mother, whom he describes as a huge foodie and exceptional cook who inspired him on his journey. Alice serves seasonal American cuisine with an emphasis on charcoal oven-prepared dishes. That means items like coal-roasted baby beets with sunflower butter and citrus, fluke with charred escarole and roasted onion consommé, coal-roasted octopus with chile and preserved lemon, and so much more. “Alice tastes as good as it looks,” says Metro Philadelphia, so we are very much looking forward to visiting!
About the Host:
A Baltimore native, Chef Dave Conn moved to Philadelphia in 2022. He previously cooked in the kitchens of Philadelphia Fish & Co., Novelty, and Washington Square (a Starr restaurant under Chef Marcus Samuelsson) before spending over a decade opening restaurants for James Beard Award-Winning Chef Jose Garces.
Courses #1 - #4 will be served family style. Course #5 will be individually plated.
Spicy Eggplant on Naan
charcoal grilled flatbread, bottarga
Glory Bay Salmon Crudo
matcha, avocado, sesame ajo blanco
Coal Roasted Octopus
jimmy nardello chile, preserved lemon
coal oven heritage chicken, burgundy truffle jus, hakurei turnip
Chocolate Pot de Crème
valrhona chocolate custard, bergamot meringue, cajeta
901 Christian St
Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- Can I bring guests who are not members to this event?
- Yep! Members are able to purchase up to 3 guest tickets to this event (based on availability). However, guest tickets are $20 more than member tickets ($85 + tax/tip), and guests will not be allowed entry to the event unless they're accompanied by a member.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.