5-Course Retracing Ethiopian Roots Tasting Event
Opened in January of 2016, this Ethiopian eatery in Plaza Midwood is still reeling in accolades, including a place on Eater’s 2023 List of “18 Essentials” and Yelp’s “Top 10 Ethiopian in the US” List. Chef/Owner Yodite Mengesha immigrated at the age of 15 from Addis Ababa with her mother and three siblings, arriving in Washington DC and then settling in Queen City. Opening a restaurant was always her mother’s dream, as she was a renowned cook in her community. Chef Mengesha opened Abugida with her brother Zemaf, and here they serve such memorable fare as yemisir kik wat (split red lentils cooked with berbere sauce), Ethiopian cheese with gomen (chopped and seasoned collard greens), yedora tibs (chicken sauteed with rosemary, onions, and peppers) and what Charlotte Magazine calls “the city’s best injera” (a spongy flatbread made from teff flour). Abugida is yet another expression of America’s great story, whereupon immigrants come to our country and enrich our lives. We are excited to visit here, to sample the unusual dishes, and to learn more about Ethiopian’s great culinary traditions.
About the Host:
Born and raised in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Chef Yodite Mengesha moved to the US 20 years ago. After a brief stint in DC, she and her family settled in Charlotte, where she attended Winston Salem State University. Abugida Café is her first restaurant.
Courses #1, #2, and #5 will be served individually plated. Courses #3 and #4 will be served family style.
heirloom tomato, onion, jalapeño
collard greens, homemade cottage cheese, herbal butter, mold spice
lamb, onion, tomato, garlic, injera
beef, ethiopian sauce
mascarpone cream, ladyfingers, expresso, liquor
3007 Central Ave
Charlotte, NC 28205
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $85 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate most dietary restrictions and food allergies except for those with dairy, gluten, vegetarian, nuts/seeds, or mushrooms restrictions. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.
- Will this event be handicap acccessible?
- According to the restaurant, this event is handicap accessible. If applicable however, please email [email protected] with your needs to ensure proper accommodations.
- What parking information has the restaurant provided for this event?
- According to the restaurant, parking is available through their private lot and/or garage.