6-Course Culinary Canvas Dinner Event
We're nearly 9 months removed from our first collaboration with Abstract Table and Chefs Greene and Kwiktor have been itching to get our feedback on a whole bunch of new recipes. Given the incredible response we got from attendees at our first event with them, we just couldn't turn down another opportunity to serve as their loyal guinea pigs! As a refresher for some (and an introduction for others): something very special is happening at Gastropig, the Oakland favorite celebrated for its breakfast sandwiches. Come weekend evenings, Gastropig is transformed, Cinderella-like, into Abstract Table, a new, permanent dinner series that features exquisitely conceived dishes with Japanese flavors. The change agents at the heart of this enterprise are chef-artists Duncan Kwitkor and Andrew Greene, who met as painting students at the San Francisco Art Institute. “We look at everything as if it’s a piece of art, whether it’s food or drawing,” says Kwitkor, who worked alongside Greene at the former Duchess in Rockridge and the Naked Kitchen pop-up in The Mission. There is always an element of surprise on Abstract Table’s menu, but typical dishes include such fare as trout with wild arugula nage, pickled grilled cucumber and coconut, beef cheek with turnip, tamari onion, edamame puree and sake glaze, and lamb breast with smoked cauliflower, fennel and togarashi hone. We will be the sole occupants of the restaurant for this event, and Chefs Kwitkor and Greene will be on hand to discuss their food inspirations and the natural affinity between food and art.
About the Hosts:
Co-Founder & Chef
Chef Kwitkor grew up in Sonoma and attended the San Francisco Art Institute along with Chef Greene, cutting his teeth in the Institute Café. He further honed his craft at Troya, The Towers, Naked Kitchen and Duchess before founding Abstract Table with Chef Greene in September 2018.
Co-Founder & Chef
A Southern California native, Chef Greene graduated from the San Francisco Art Institute, touring internationally with his paintings for more than a year before transitioning into food. He worked as Executive Chef at Troya, Social Kitchen & Brewery, Duchess and Bar Crudo before founding Abstract Table with Chef Duncan Kwitkor in September 2018.
Each course will individually plated.
with starfruit tempura, pickled beets, and citrus vinaigrette
with thai chili, candied cilantro, and yuzu kosho
Winter Vegetable Chowder
with parsnip, celery root, chinese cauliflower, and pink peppercorn cracker
Seared Ocean Trout
with baby bok choy, edamame puree, and shoyu reduction
with tamari onion, smoked beech mushroom, and nori cream potatoes
Citrus Almond Cake
with pecan brittle, white chocolate bark, and crème fraîche
2123 Franklin St
Oakland, CA 94612
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, the chef will be able to accommodate most dietary restrictions and food allergies. Please note that accommodations can only be made if you Update Your Dietary Restrictions or email us at [email protected] no less than 48 hours before the event.