5-Course Culinary Canvas Tasting Event
Something very special is happening at Cafenated Coffee Shop, the Berkeley favorite celebrated for its single-origin beans from female coffee farmers. Come weekend evenings, Cafenated Coffee Shop is transformed, Cinderella-like, into Abstract Table, the beloved permanent dinner series that features exquisitely conceived dishes with Japanese flavors. The change agents at the heart of this enterprise are chef-artists Duncan Kwitkor and Andrew Greene, who met as painting students at the San Francisco Art Institute. “We look at everything as if it’s a piece of art, whether it’s food or drawing,” says Kwitkor, who worked alongside Greene at the former Duchess in Rockridge and the Naked Kitchen pop-up in The Mission. There is always an element of surprise on Abstract Table’s menu, but typical dishes include such fare as trout with wild arugula nage, pickled grilled cucumber and coconut, beef cheek with turnip, tamari onion, edamame puree and sake glaze, and lamb breast with smoked cauliflower, fennel and togarashi hone. As usual, we will be the sole occupants of the restaurant for this event, and Chef Greene will be on hand to discuss their food inspirations and the natural affinity between food and art.
About the Host:
Co-Founder & Chef
A Southern California native, Chef Greene graduated from the San Francisco Art Institute, touring internationally with his paintings for more than a year before transitioning into food. He worked as Executive Chef at Troya, Social Kitchen & Brewery, Duchess and Bar Crudo before founding Abstract Table with Chef Duncan Kwitkor in September 2018.
All courses will be individually plated.
with seaweed, pickled blueberry, blue grits, and dashi
Salad of Edible Flowers
with togarashi croutons, beech mushroom, and pickled allium vinaigrette
Smoked Local Halibut
with fennel pollen glass, chili, and shoyu creme
Braised Beef Cheek
with wild mushroom and walnut hash, blackberry, and white chocolate ganache
Homemade Kit-Kat Cake
with kettle corn, red licorice marshmallow, and fish sauce caramel
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
This event will be held in the restaurant's covered outdoor space, and we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables (vs. communal seating). As per this restaurant's policy, as well as local guidelines, proof of vaccination will not be required from attendees to gain entry.
2085 Vine St
Berkeley, CA 94709
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for dairy allergies. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $85 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.