Nicky's Coal Fired
Restaurant In The Home Series: Pt. 5
With the fifth installment of our Restaurant In The Home series, we're heading to Nashville (virtually, of course) for a collab with Music City's most beloved Italian eatery: Nicky's Coal Fired. Boasting the only coal-burning oven in Tennessee, Nicky's is where Chef/Owner Tony Galzin pays tribute to his great-grandfather, who immigrated to the U.S. from Lazio, Italy. Before planting roots in Nashville, Chef Galzin honed his craft in Chicago at Naha (Michelin-starred) and mk (under James Beard Award-winning Chef Michael Kornick). His extensive training has certainly paid off, as Nicky's has garnered nothing but glowing praise form Nashville's food press for its contemporary take on classic Italian cuisine. The restaurant is regularly featured in Eater Nashville's "38 Essentials" List and was selected as Nashville Scene's Restaurant of the Year '17. Did we mention that Chef Galzin also won Eater's prestigious Chef of the Year Award in 2015? He'll be welcoming us into his home for this class where he'll be teaching us how to cook a 3-course Italian meal showcasing a few of his favorite Nicky's dishes.
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Co-Owner
A Chicago native, Chef Galzin worked in Chicago's Michelin Starred Naha and mk, as well as NYC's Perennial, before relocating to Nashville with his wife/business partner Caroline in 2013. Together they first opened Fifty First Kitchen & Bar, earning Eater Nashville 2015's Chef of the Year, before opening Nicky’s Coal Fired in December 2016.
The Class Details
What does my ticket get me?
In addition to getting access to the live-streamed class, where Chef Miller will run cooking demos for each of the 3 courses and participate in a Q&A with attendees, you will receive a PDF Recipe Book with step-by-step cooking instructions for each course. You will also receive a full video recording of the class the day after its completion.
What will we be cooking?
1st Course: Ricotta crostini with spring herbs and lemon
2nd Course: Grandma's Meatballs with Red Sauce
3rd Course: Strawberry Trifle
How long will the class take?
Roughly 1hr 30min from start to finish; ~45 minutes of cooking demos and ~45 minutes for discussion/Q&A.
What will the yield be?
2 servings of each course.
What kitchen utensils/appliances will be used?
- Aluminum foil
- Baking sheets/sheet pans (2)
- Blender or food processor
- Cutting board
- Large casserole dish or dutch oven
- Measuring Cup & Measuring Spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Parfait cup or small dish
- Stainless steel or non reactive pot
- Rubber spatula or wooden spoon
- Very fine strainer or colander lined with cheesecloth
- Zester or Microplane
What ingredients will be needed?
In addition to the following usual kitchen staples (salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil, sugar, and white vinegar), try to acquire the ingredients listed below. Note, we will email you a detailed list of the necessary quantities of each ingredient below after you purchase your ticket:
- Canned crushed tomatoes
- Fresh herbs, such a s parsley, chives, mint & basil (your choice)
- Graham crackers
- Grated parmigiano
- Ground beef
- Ground pork
- Heavy cream
- Loaf of crusty bread or baguette
- Powdered sugar
- Unseasoned breadcrumbs
- Vanilla extract
- Whole milk
- Yellow onion
Nicky's Coal Fired
5026 Centennial Blvd
Nashville, TN 37209
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers access to the livestream class, as well as the discussion/Q&A session. The ticket price DOES NOT cover the cost of ingredients, as you need to acquire the ingredients separately through whatever means you prefer.
- What is the refund policy?
- Tickets are fully refundable up until 24 hours prior to the start of this class. Refund requests made within 24 hours of this class's start time will not be honored.
- What do I need to do in preparation for this class?
- If you don't already have it, you'll need to download the free Zoom application to your smartphone, tablet, or computer (whichever you'll be following along on during the class) and make sure to create a free zoom account. And, please ensure that you have a good internet connection so that you don't have any issues streaming the class. Additionally, if you plan on cooking along with the chef during the class, please acquire all of the necessary ingredients in the appropriate quantities (as outlined in the grocery shopping list email we send you), and make sure you have all of the necessary cooking utensils/appliances outlined above.