6-Course Modern Korean Dinner Event
Seoul-born chef Junsoo Bae, who graduated from the Culinary Institute of America and cut his culinary teeth at such restaurant world titans as Gramercy Park, Blue Hill at Stone Barns, and Copenhagen’s Noma, saw a need in San Francisco and set out to fill it. While he found that there were a great many Korean-inspired restaurants in New York City, there were relatively few in Fog City. Setting out to remedy that situation, he and his wife Hyunyoung opened their first restaurant, SSAL, on Polk Street in Russian Hill, just this past April. SSAL’s goal is to enhance the city’s understanding of Korean food with a menu that features such small plates as scallion pancakes, silken tofu with sea urchin and smoked trout roe, and yuzu-glazed duck liver mousse. Larger plates include barbecue items like braised beef short ribs and ribeye, cooked sous vide but finished table-side over hot coals, and smoked Liberty farm duck ssam. We will be taking over the restaurant for this event, and Chef Bae will be on hand to answer your questions and tell you everything you need to know about Korean cuisine.
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Co-Owner
A native of South Korea, Chef Bae attended NYC's Culinary Institute of America before taking on positions at some of the city's most celebrated kitchens, including Blue Hill at Stone Barns and Gramercy Tavern, where he honed his craft for over 6 years. A competitor in the prestigious Bocuse d'Or culinary competition, Bae also worked under Rene Redzepi at Noma before settling in San Francisco and opening SSAL in April 2019.
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
Seaweed & Sweet Potato
with kabocha squash chips
with spinach and chive oil
Duck Liver Mousse
with market cherries and grilled bread
Soy and Garlic Roasted Mushrooms
with bell pepper and puffed rice
Grilled Beef Short Rib
with pickled radishes and ssam vegetables
Streusel Cream Puff
with roasted soybean cream
2226 Polk St
San Francisco, CA 94109
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for those with garlic, soy, or onion allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.