DAY 3 - 2nd Seating: 8-Course Izakaya Inspired Feast
Oka is where Chef John McCarthy gets to celebrate one of his favorite culinary formats: Izakaya. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Izakaya, think of it as Japan's version of Spanish tapas. Chef McCarthy’s take on Izakaya favors the inventive over than the traditional, which is to be expected given his professional experience. Prior to going off on his own, he cut his teeth in the kitchen at wd-50 where he rose the ranks to become Chef Wylie Dufresne's research and development cook (check his full bio below). We'll be taking over the entire restaurant for this event and Chef McCarthy, who also happens to be a certified sake sommelier, will be coming out of the kitchen to introduce his food, share stories, and participate in a Q&A during dessert!
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Owner
Chef McCarthy's culinary career began when he left a cushy legal career to enroll in the French Culinary Institute. After graduating first in his class at FCI, he spent several years cooking at wd~50 under Chef Wylie Dufresne and rose the ranks to become wd~50's lead R&D cook. In addition to Oka, he owns The Crimson Sparrow in Hudson, NY.
The Feast Lineup
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be individually plated.
with shrimp cracker and wasabi
with yeasted sunchoke puree and sunchoke chips
with masago and kalamata olive
with smoked caesar dressing and bonito
grilled yellowtail collar with soy and yuzu
fried pork cutlet with napa cabbage and scallion
with ya-cai, scallion, egg and mustard
Passion Fruit Anglaise
with graham cracker and meringue
439 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10016
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets are non-refundable. However, you can transfer your tickets to someone else if you purchased tickets to attend this event but can no longer attend. However, tickets purchased for this event are not transferrable to future events. Please let us know in advance if you intend to transfer your ticket(s) to someone else, and provide us with the new guests’ names and emails. We will not be able to accommodate guests that are not on the guest list.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.