DAY 2 - 2nd Seating: 8-Course Chinese Nostalgia Feast
There are approximately 7,000 Chinese restaurants in NYC. But, according to the NY Times, Michelin, and Time Out, MáLà Project separates itself from the pack; It's a NY Times Critics' Pick, 2018 Michelin Bib Gourmand, and one of the city's 27 best Chinese restaurants according to Time Out. Executive Chef Zilong Zhao, who grew up in Chengdu, China's Sichuan capital (see full bio below), creates food that is less commonly found in the US by showcasing obscure dishes from various regions of China - Sichuan, Hunan, Huaiyang, and many more. While it was Chef Zhao's dry pot, a broth-free cousin to the traditional Sichuan hot pot, that first put MáLà Project on the map, his versatility and inventiveness find expression in many different directions. We’ll be taking over the whole restaurant for this event series and Chef Zhao, along with the restaurant's Founder, Amelie Kang, will be coming out of the kitchen all night to share stories and participate in a Q&A during dessert!
About the Hosts:
Chef Zhao got his culinary start in the kitchen of a 4-star hotel in his hometown of Chengdu. He then went on to cook in kitchens in Hunan, Guangdong, and Dubai, before settling in NYC, where he cooked at the renowned Szechuan Gourmet in Flushing before opening MáLà Project.
Ms. Kang grew up in Beijing, and moved to the US to attend the Culinary Institute of America. After graduating, she gained experience in all facets of the restaurant industry (line cook for Daniel Boulud, bartender at B Flat, GM at China Blue), before opening MáLà Project at the age of 24.
The Feast Lineup
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be plated individually.
Chilled Spinach Salad
with sesame paste, peanuts, and pocky sticks
with cucumber, tofu skin, and peanuts in chili sauce
Sliced Pig Ear
with chili oil, minced garlic, and shredded potato
Jade Vegetable Dumplings
filled with bok choy, chinese cabbage, shiitake mushroom, and glass noodles
Sauteed Brined Pork Short Ribs
with preserved plum, black vinegar, and honey
Meat Dry Pot
with chicken breast, chicken wings, sliced eye of round, pork belly, crab stick, squid, fishball, and prawn
Vegetarian Dry Pot
with firm tofu, king oyster mushroom, corn, snap peas, broccoli, tofu pocket, carrot, and lotus root
Steamed and Fried Manto
chinese buns with condensed milk dipping sauce
41 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets are non-refundable. However, you can transfer your tickets to someone else if you purchased tickets to attend this event but can no longer attend. However, tickets purchased for this event are not transferrable to future events. Please let us know in advance if you intend to transfer your ticket(s) to someone else, and provide us with the new guests’ names and emails. We will not be able to accommodate guests that are not on the guest list.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except soy-specific gluten allergies. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.