5-Course Egypt-Infused Texas BBQ Tasting Event
An Austin fixture since its 2017 opening, KG BBQ is the realization of Executive Chef/Owner/Pitmaster Kareem El-Ghayesh's dream, when he left a corporate finance career in Cairo to follow his passion for Texas BBQ. Visiting an Egyptian friend in Austin in 2012, he had his first humble tray of barbecue and the rest is history. He changed his life completely, graduated from culinary school, and learned from some of the best pitmasters in Texas, including Miguel Vidal at Valentina's Tex-Mex BBQ. He started his first barbecue pop-up at South Austin's Giddy Ups in 2017, and when Dia's Market asked him to cook for their anniversary party, his food was so well-received that he was able to launch the KG BBQ pop-up on the last Sunday every month. Now, in a home of his own, Chef El-Ghayesh is bringing a taste of Egypt to Texas barbecue, "building bridges with brisket," as the Austin Chronicle puts it. We are excited to visit KG BBQ and hear all about Chef El-Ghayesh's fascinating journey.
About the Host:
Chef Kareem El-Ghayesh hails from Cairo and graduated with a business degree before pursuing his passion. A 2012 visit to the US gave him his first taste of Texan barbecue, leading to his big move to ATX in 2015. After cooking at Valentina's Tex-Mex BBQ with pitmaster Miguel Vida, he worked at Freedmen's, Rollin Smoke BBQ, and Interstellar BBQ before finally going into business for himself. KG BBQ, his newest pop-up, started in 2021.
Each course will be served family-style with either 2 or 3 portions/plate depending on the number of guests you are bringing to the event (i.e. if you are attending with one guest, you will be served two portions/plate). Solo attendees will receive individually-plated courses.
Black Truffle Hummus
with pine nuts and pomegranate seeds
with mediterranean rice, cinnamon nuts, tahini sauce, and pomegranate seeds
with cucumber, mint, tomato, pita croutons, and buttermilk dressing
Smoked Lamb Chops
with mint chimichurri, whipped sour-cream tahini sauce, and crushed nuts
Pistachio Rice Pudding
with cardamom and mascarpone cream
Restaurant Covid 19 Policy
At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant's own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
12233 Ranch Road 620 N, Suite 105
Austin, TX 78750
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $75 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- Do guests need to be of a certain age to attend this event?
- Yes. All attendees must be 21+ to gain entry.
- What must I bring to the event?
- Please make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID. Additionally, if you plan on purchasing beverages during the event, make sure to bring cash.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests (as well as the guest ticket surcharge) must be sent to us prior to the event. Any guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What COVID safety precautions will be taken at this event?
- At this event, we will be accommodating all requests for separate tables rather than communal seating. Additionally, all food will be served individually-plated rather than family-style. As per local guidelines, as well as the restaurant’s own policy, attendees will not be required to present proof of vaccination for entry.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for vegetarians or those with aversions to dairy. Please make sure to Update Your Dietary Restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are.