1st Seating: 8-Course Lao Isaan Inspired Feast
At Hawker Fare, acclaimed chef James Syhabout brings to the Mission Thai and Laotian-inspired cuisine in a setting evocative of Asian street markets. You may already be familiar with Chef Syhabout's work at Commis, Oakland's only Michelin-Starred restaurant (2 Michelin-Stars actually!), which he also owns. Or, perhaps you've seen him on TV or read one of his cookbooks. You get the point; he's a big deal! Hawker Fare is where Chef Syhabout gets to dive deep into the street food that best expresses the bold and assertive Isaan cuisine of northeast Thailand. Come prepared for a little heat and expect numerous encounters throughout the evening with what the SF Examiner hails as “unusual, beautiful depth of flavor.” As is always the case at our events, Chef Syhabout will be in and out of the kitchen all night to share food insights, memories, and stories.
About the Host:
Chef & Owner
Chef Syhabout has spent time in some of the most renowned fine dining kitchens in the world: commis at El Bulli, chef de partie at Alkimia, chef de partie at Daniel Patterson’s Coi, and sous chef at Manresa with David Kinch. Not to mention stops at Mugaritz and The Fat Duck along the way.
The Feast Lineup
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
Thai Papaya Salad
with dried shrimp, palm sugar, tomatoes, fish sauce, chilies, lime, and crushed peanuts
Rice Ball Salad
with fermented pork, peanuts, cilantro, dried thai chilies, fish sauce, and lime
Jungle Fish Stew
catfish and wood ear mushrooms with lemongrass, chilies, shallots, fermented fish, dill, and thai eggplant
Mom's Green Beans
with smoked bacon and homemade prik khing curry paste
Satay Short Ribs
angus beef ribs with coconut milk, turmeric, lemongrass, tangy cucumber relish and homemade peanut sauce
with fermented yellow bean, garlic, and thai chilies
Whole Mount Lassen Trout
with fresh red curry paste, lemongrass, shallots, makrut lime leaves, dill, and lime juice
Thai Tapioca Pudding
with coconut milk, tapioca pearls, and strawberries
680 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets are non-refundable. However, you can transfer your tickets to someone else if you purchased tickets to attend this event but can no longer attend. However, tickets purchased for this event are not transferrable to future events. Please let us know in advance if you intend to transfer your ticket(s) to someone else, and provide us with the new guests’ names and emails. We will not be able to accommodate guests that are not on the guest list.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.